General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to take turns

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Default How to take turns

Hello Experts,

I have been driving my stickshift car for over a year now, but lately read some driving tips that confused me. In regards to taking any turns, corners, etc. what is the shifting sequence? Assuming that I am in 4th gear and want to turn right, I used to shift to neutral, apply brakes, turn right, then shift back in 2nd or 3rd and accelarate. from the tips I read online, this seems to be the wrong technique.

Could I get some expert tips and tricks?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Default RE: How to take turns

depending on the corner there are a variety of ways to take them. As a general rule of thumb though you want to be either on the brake or on the gas at all times, no inbetween if you're coasting then you should either be holding your speed or slowing down....

The easiest way to take a corner and hold some speed is to downshift, then brake (if needed) BEFORE you start turning, then as you're coming close to reaching the apex of the corner (middle) lay back into the gas as hard as you can, in a front wheel drive car this will in trun "pull" you through the corner...

To be even faster you can start heel-toe shifting or double clutching or left foot braking but all of those little "tricks" will help but require a lot of practice to be good at.... google them for information if you care...

Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 PM

IMO, you want to stay in control, which means to slow before entering the turn and accelerate coming out of it. Avoid braking or slowing while turning (overloads the tires).

Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

depending on the corner there are a variety of ways to take them. As a general rule of thumb though you want to be either on the brake or on the gas at all times, no inbetween if you're coasting then you should either be holding your speed or slowing down....

The easiest way to take a corner and hold some speed is to downshift, then brake (if needed) BEFORE you start turning, then as you're coming close to reaching the apex of the corner (middle) lay back into the gas as hard as you can, in a front wheel drive car this will in trun "pull" you through the corner...

To be even faster you can start heel-toe shifting or double clutching or left foot braking but all of those little "tricks" will help but require a lot of practice to be good at.... google them for information if you care...
nasty beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. I usually double clutch. Heel-toe shifting is just too much of a pain in the @$$. The only way I would think it would be necessary is on a racetrack.