General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle speed issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Question Idle speed issues

Ok i got 1 for the fellas!
93 Accord 2.2 auto
when parked at an idle the engine misses and the same on drive idle at a stop?
I also hear a faint backfire?nothing loud but i know "HER" and she does not normally sound like that?
But as im driving or even taking off from a stop she sounds like the car i know!i have no problem with acceleration,no problem with start up!only at idle speed do i hear and feel the miss and backfire?and the backfire is more like alil putt putt noise?but something is definitely wrong with "HER"
what i did to narrow down the possibilities:
checked for vacuum leaks? none found
checked spark plugs,wires,cap and rotor? all is well
checked timing and did the valve adjustment? everything is aokay!
cleaned EGR valve but not the ports!?
IAC valve two thumbs up!
One more lil detail i mite add,on the distributor cap the three screws used to mount it to the distributor are cracked on the outer end of each screw on the cap itself from son tightening them down too much when dad was teaching son how to take care of his future car?and i did mention to him after the fact! thats a dont do son!!
So fellas whats your input on this?
maybe i should do a compression test on "HER"?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Compression test won't hurt, but I bet it's the cracked cap.

Fractures in the plastic can travel farther than you think, and they present the type of surface that can track an arc across to ground.

Look for arcing or corona-discharge by starting the cold engine in complete darkness.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 AM

ok check this out!
i was under the hood adjusting the IAC valve and my hand touched the coil wire to the distributor and i got a shock!
i said cool i found it?replaced the plug now she dont even crank just clicking noise under driver side dash?so here i go again!but please keep giving your advice ill check on any replys i get while im under the dash testing this an that

Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

I'm struggling to think of how the no-crank problem is related to that shock. But maybe a blown fuse or something easy like that. Actually it sounds like it might be loose/dirty battery connections. Then you can go back to the arcing.

So what "plug" did you replace after getting that shock?

Discharge of the secondary (high-voltage) ignition circuit can travel over the surface of other parts in order to get to ground. So while you feel the shock in the coil wire, maybe it's the cap or the coil where the discharge actually started from.

The smooth shiny surface of the plastic distributor cap (inside surface too) is important. A rough surface will hold dirt & crud and will allow the discharge to travel more easily across that rough surface. Same for the coil surface.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 AM

thank you `Jim for your advice!
and just to let you know the problem was a combo of the cap(you were rite on that one partner)and the distributor.
I took off the distributor to take a closer look at it and you would not believe how the wires looked inside the distributor?
wires so old and breaking apart just by touching them,bare wires inside the dist.i dont know how she even ran?and as hard as i drive "HER" im shocked on how good she ran for as long as she did?
but now $175 later she never felt soo good!!!
Thanks again partner!