General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Default Ignition Issue

I recently had my engine and starter replaced. Ever since that time, when I start my car, it makes that screeching sound. It is the sound that you hear when you are starting your car, but dont release the key once its started. At first, I thought I was putting too much pressure on the key, but when I take to the shop for routine maintence, the same thing happens when the guys that work there start the car.

When it does that squealing, it does not start..well, sometimes it doesnt start.

I have not had any ignition work done on this vehicle since it came into my possession.

Any advice as to what is going on with my vehicle is greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have this problem on my 94EX intermittently and also had on Acura MDX recently. I found the problem/fix on another forum.

The problem is the bendix extends on a shaft to engage the flywheel ring gear. The shaft that the bendix slides on becomes dry and sticks preventing the movement from retracting from flywheel when bendix gear is engaged to flywheel. Result is overdriving the starter and screech.

Fix is to remove the starter and lubricate w/ moly grease the shaft the bendix movement slides on. I did this on my MDX and it has permanently fixed the problem. I haven't attempted on my 94EX.

good luck

Old 09-29-2011, 02:48 PM

come to find out, I had a bad starter. Got it taken care of this morning. Thank you for all of your help!!