General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Default Ignition problem

Hello,
I have a 1991 accord wagon, 2.2 EX automatic and have recently done a little work to it. I repaired a horrible vibration issue and spark issue by cleaning out the egr valve ports/plugs and all of that, replaced spark plugs, seals, wires, distributor cap and rotor. It was running the best it has been running since I've owned it (about a year and a half now), and was working awesome for about a week.

Then, one morning I went out to start it and it sluggishly fired up, but then ran great. I wrote that off as cold weather, and maybe the battery was going dead, even though it is a 72 month battery and only about a year old.

So, turned the car off and on that day several times with no issues.

Then the next morning, I went out, turned the key, and nothing. Not even a click. However, lights work, dash lights come on, you can hear the click happen with the gear shifter, but nothing happens - no crank, no click, click, click, nothing.

I tried to jump it with a 15 passenger dodge van for almost an hour and nothing.

So, I can use a little help here in troubleshooting this issue. Is it the ignition switch? Could it be the starter? Could it be the distributer, coil, etc.?

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Johnny
1991 Honda Accord Wagon EX
4 Cyl 2.2
Automatic

Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the starter is not working for some reason.

If you have a volt meter and someone that can help, see if you get 12V on the small wire that goes to the starter to body ground when you turn the key to start.

You can also try the caveman test where someone holds the key in the start position, and you hit the case of the starter near the electrical connections using the handle of a screwdriver with light/medium force.

I would also disconnect the battery cables. I would clean and tighten all ends of both battery cables and the two connections on the starter. Then reconnect the battery.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the tips. I will try those things and see if that works. If it is a bad starter, would I be getting any sound at all when I turn the key, or nothing?
Johnny
1991 Accord Wagon EX 2.2

Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

If the starter solenoid (internal switch) is bad, you typically hear one click from the starter when you turn the key to the start position.

The two tests will give you more information.

The voltage test on the starter will tell you if the starter is getting the signal from the ignition switch.

The caveman test helps verify a bad starter solenoid only if the caveman test works.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 AM

The cave man test did the trick. I'll be picking up a starter today. Thanks for the help - I really appreciate it!
Johnny
1991 Accord Wagon EX 2.2

Old 11-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Just an update - swapped the starter and it fired right up. Thanks again for the tip.
Johnny
1991 Accord Wagon EX 2.2

Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

caveman test
Now I know what to call it.