General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch or main relay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Ignition switch or main relay?

My 1999 Accord (Ex, 5-spd sedan) has been stalling recently. I've done some research and read about the ignition switch recall. My first instinct is that this is the problem and I need to replace the ignition switch (it was done by the original owner for the recall, but now it's 11 years later). I've also read the the main relay can cause similar stalling problems. I was hoping if I described the symptoms, someone here might have some insight to which part is causing the problem.

The car starts up and I can often drive it on small errands from 2-10 miles without a problem. Although sometimes it stalls after all the power cuts out suddenly. Usually after driving it somewhere, I can jiggle the key and it will stall. It won't stall if I jiggle the key after first starting it up. It will usually restart after it stalls, but not immediately. The car starts, but the power almost immediately cuts out and it stalls again as soon as the engine tries to get going. After 5 minutes or so(and usually waving people around me while in traffic) it will start up and keep going for awhile. Is there anything else that I should think about?

Also, has anyone ever bought a Duralast or other auto parts store generic ignition switch? Should I spring for the OEM part? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

There are probably a few aftermarket manufactures of an ignition switch. The box is probably different.

If you can get the car to stall out by shaking the key, then this sounds like the electrical portion of the ignition switch.

I installed an O'Reillys one on my friends 99 V6 accord. It worked/fit just fine. This preference is more of me being loyal to O'Reillys, because the one guy really knew cars when I was ordering parts there.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

OEM ignition switch assys haven't proven especially reliable. I would go w/ aftermarket. They are available for < $50. Check site sponsors.

good luck

Old 02-10-2020, 02:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
OEM ignition switch assys haven't proven especially reliable. I would go w/ aftermarket. They are available for < $50. Check site sponsors.

good luck
I'm reading this various places online. Does this mean we can trust the Honda replacement part (35130-SY8-305)?

Electrical portion only. This ignition switch is only for use in vehicles subject to NHTSA Campaign #02V120000 (issued on 5/20/02) for potentially defective ignitions switches. Some (but not all) 1997-99 CL models were recalled for replacement of the ignition switch. Models that have had the ignition switch replaced under this recall should use this switch (35130-SY8-305) instead of the original 35130-S30-003 switch. Please contact your local Acura dealer if unsure whether or not your vehicle is included with those that were recalled under NHTSA Campaign #02V120000.