General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Back!!! Clutch Slipping in 97 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Default I'm Back!!! Clutch Slipping in 97 Accord LX

Hi folks!!! Well my Jag dies so I went and bought another Honda Accord today! Good news, right??? Well...here is my story:

Saw an ad in craigslist last night for a 97 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.2 and the pics looked really nice, mileage was ok (140k), and the ad was professional and guarenteed that "everything " on the car was in working order. This was a shop in Sacramento, Ca. that was selling the car. Oh did I mention the 21 point inspection??? They wanted 3000.00 so I called and got it down to 2500.00 and made the three hour journey with a friend to go test it and possibly buy it.

I get there and look it over the best one can. What I mean by that is when you look at a car for sale there are certain things you "excpect" that work that would be unreasonable by any means to sell it otherwise, so ones eyes look at cosmetic things and to make sure things don't look broken. Face it, none of us push and pull every ****, lighter, radio button or check high beams and stuff like that. We assume that any honest owner would tell you about such. Right???

Anyhow they start the car and it does sound good and solid. Nice idle, no missing...sounds great. Next check is the AC...it works with nice and frosty air pumping out...good :-) Then we go for a drive. It drives nice, however like anyone ya have to dial in a feel for the new clutch almost like you are a beginner. After a few shifts ya got it! Well the one thing I did notice was this clutch felt tight. It took alot of foot pressure to push her down and then it seemed like the longest travel before she engaged. I never felt one like that but it worked so I just dismissed it and figured I would get use to it. After about a three mile journey we come back to the shop and I am convinced this is my new ride. Can't beat it for the price and it did run good.

Ok...cash exchanged, papers signed and I am on my way for the three hour trip home in some nice warm California weather. Everything is going fine and my friend waves me over so we can get some lunch about an hour into the ride home. We pull into Dennys (yummy!!!) and I shut down the car. Ok, ya ready...here we go. I go to lock up my car and I cannot get the drivers door to lock! I am thinking "what the hell is going on?" They gave me like 4 keys to the car so I tried everyone and none worked. I then went around to the passenger door and found the right key to open that side, but when I try it on the drivers side it doesn't even turn it one direction or the other. Also, the switch inside for the power lock did nothing. Then I tried the manual switch by the handle and it just flopped back and forth...clearly broken. Now I am getting mad...what happened to "everything works" and how could a mechanic not have known about this? We try to call from Denny's on the cell, but he does not answer. So, I figure I will call him when I get home, tell him the problem and he will have me go to Honda or a local private mechanic and pay to have it fixed...after all that would be the honest thing to do. Here comes part 2 of the nightmare.

So I finally get home but I now need to go to Kragens and drop 30+ on a "club" because my car won't lock and I don't want it stolen. Well, I came to my first stop and waited my turn and put her in first and let off the clutch and then it began...SLIPPING!!!! The motor would wind way up and then "slowly" engage causing me to have a take off of a tortise! Naturally every other gear followed suit and did the same thing so I was about the slowest thing on the road until I got into 4th and had some distance between stops to where I could get momentum going...LOL

I am so pissed so I called the shop when I got home and told him about the problems and guess what he basically said??? Tough Luck Buddy! He told me that I was the one who probably ruined the clutch on the way home and he based that on my first few shifts on the test drive. He also said the previous owner told him the drivers side lock would work but only when it wanted to. It was at that point I reminded him of his twice said "everything works" statement and then he says "well I drove this car around to take my kids to school and to the store and to run errands and I never noticed the problem!!!" What a crock...who drives all over town and does not lock the car? NOBODY especially with a stereo staring you right in the face. What a liar. I asked are you going to take care of this and he said "no" because he knocked 500.00 of the price and I should expect little problems at that price. Well that is crap...that is what "I" negotiated and should have no bearing on the original statements on how this car ran perfect and that it all functioned as a a car should. I asked about the clutch and he said the best he would do is get me the parts at his cost but no free labor. Mind you guys again this is only 3 1/2 hours that I have owned the car and this is how he is acting. Well any how he hung up on me so I got on the horn and I will be having a meeting with the Bureau of Automotive Repair on Monday.

Ok...anyhow after I calmed down I started thinking there is NO WAY I caused this...impossible. I have driven Hondas for the last 15-20 years, all with manual trannys, and I never have burnt up a clutch by my driving. So I started to think "ahha" and as Monk would say "Here is what happened." Sucker me comes to buy the car...clutch works fine when car is first started and the temps are low...as the heat increases somehow the clutch starts slipping, and I will never know until I am long gone!!! How's that??? Did I do ok guys???

Well we are finally at my question...What cause's a clutch to only slip after the car has been ran for a while and it heats up? What do I need to have checked and is this a problem that can be fixed with an adjustment?

Also if any of you have my lock solution figured out, let me know.

As always any and all help appreciated. Sorry my return was long winded but I am still a tad bit upset and I am not through with this guy.

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 06-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I used to work for a dealership used car lot and you would not believe the random things that happened, so it is hard to say if the clutch was showing symptoms before you purchased it. Every used car needs something it seems. You can get locks rekeyed to your key other than the ignition(that I know of).

Old 06-13-2010, 04:51 PM

Any ideas folks?

peace out,
daddy

Old 06-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Arrow

Buyers beware...Peoples Court BigDaddy

Old 06-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Glazed clutch disc and flywheel is what fist comes to mind for a slipping clutch only when hot. Rear main seal oil leak is my second thought.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:00 PM

did you buy the car from the shop itself,,(,name on the title was the shop's name )or an individual ??...if it has the shop's name you might be able to legally have them pay for the faulty stuff ...
'Unless you drove with the foot on the clutch all the time you did not ruin the clutch,
I would talk to the shop again and ask them to fix the issues, (no money out of your pocket ) or you will take legal action ..
I also hope that these are the only issues cause you don't even know what it looks like underneath ( suspension, leaks,cv boots mounts, etc etc )
And not to add salt in a wound, but next time , spend $ 70-80 to have the car checked out by a automotive shop ( buyer's chk out ),, one that specializes in the type of car that you intend to get ,,,trust me it will be the best money that you will ever spend ..
i hope that you are able to resolve the issue to your content ,,

Last edited by deserthonda; 06-13-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
did you buy the car from the shop itself,,(,name on the title was the shop's name )or an individual ??...if it has the shop's name you might be able to legally have them pay for the faulty stuff ...
'Unless you drove with the foot on the clutch all the time you did not ruin the clutch,
I would talk to the shop again and ask them to fix the issues, (no money out of your pocket ) or you will take legal action ..
I also hope that these are the only issues cause you don't even know what it looks like underneath ( suspension, leaks,cv boots mounts, etc etc )
And not to add salt in a wound, but next time , spend $ 70-80 to have the car checked out by a automotive shop ( buyer's chk out ),, one that specializes in the type of car that you intend to get ,,,trust me it will be the best money that you will ever spend ..
i hope that you are able to resolve the issue to your content ,,

Hi DesertHonda!!! Nice to hear from you again.

Like I said, I called the shop I bought it from as soon as I got home which was about a 3 hour plus trip. He was like a changed person and would not fix anything I asked him about...then he blamed me for the clutch. The trip was over 90 % on the highway in 4th or 5th gear without riding the clutch. I have driven Hondas for the last 20+ years and have never burned one up. Also you are right...I think there might be a CV issue as I heard light clicking on a corner.

Anyhow, I called the Bureau of Automotive Repair in California today and filed a complaint. They will get back to me in 3-4 days and then they will attempt to get a resolution with the shop. Depending on their evaluation they can close a shop or knock points off their rating. When the BAR comes knocking most shops start to sweat big time. they told me not to call him until after they had made a visit. That way he is caught off guard and cannot put together lies and storys.

If he doesn't comply, then I will take him to small claims court and I already paid for the paperwork package today at the court house. I have a witness that was with me so that will help as well. I have documented everything and every phone call and every bit of our conversations so I am prepared. I also have sent a letter to the previous owners of the car (from where the shop got it) to confirm with them about what problems the car had when the shop took over the title.

Yep...once again I trusted what sounded like a reputable shop and looked what happened. I will follow your advice next time and pay to have a pre-buy inspection.

peace out,
daddy