General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

insufficient heat?, or normal? '97 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Damn, must be cold where you live if 1046F won't keep you warm.

Some things to check:
1) can you manually push/pull the heater core valve on the engine side of firewall near the thermostat? If it won't move fully forward and back, the valve may be the problem. The valve should move easily.

2) Check the wire from heater control under the dash to heater control valve for bends/kinks. I had one on a Toyota bend/kink and would not move the valve until I rebent straight.

3) The connection of the control mechanism to the wire requires adjustment to get full travel. I did this once but don't remember the exact procedure. I recollect simply forcing the wire to full open or closed position (don't remember which) and fixing the retaining clip to hold the wire to the controls.

good luck
yes the heater valve arm moves freely, i even try pushing it manually using the heater valve cable under the glove compartment. i dont see anything wrong with it.

i tested the heater control **** cable withe the heater valve cable disconnected and i was able to turn to max heat very smoothly. so i don think its bent or anything. there is a tiny bit of adjustment that i can make under the glove box at the heater control cable which you turn but is just very little.

the trick i guess is to make the right adjustment, which there is not much you can make. everything looks to be in order, except the the cable is like 3/4" short connecting to the heater valve arm.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have an adjustment procedure from a 1991 Accord Manual which should be same as your 93 Accord. PM your email address and I'll send. It's too large to post w/ 19.5kb file size limit.

good luck

Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 AM

I have an adjustment procedure from a 1991 Accord Manual which should be same as your 93 Accord. PM your email address and I'll send. It's too large to post w/ 19.5kb file size limit.

good luck
i just pm you. i like to try it. thanks very much.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM

I also have a 94 e-manual from which I copied the adjustment proc.

good luck

Old 11-11-2011, 09:35 AM

I also have a 94 e-manual from which I copied the adjustment proc.

good luck
thank you very much i got the manual. the only thing i haven't try yet is loosen the cable at the heater valve near the firewall under the hood. is there an adjustment there also? like when you turn it or something it will loosen the cable housing a little bit. from the looks of it, its hard to access the heater valve cable there are alot of stuff above it in the engine. i wonder if the op has solve this problem yet.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have a 97 Accord as well and the heater is so hot it will cook you out of the car.
I would check the valve at the firewall and perhaps a coolent flush is needed.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:10 PM

No adjustment at valve to my knowledge.

good luck

Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I repaired mine similarly w/ ripstop nylon and liquid steel epoxy. However, not all folks in this world are as frugal as you and I.
Mine cracked today while replacing the climate control bulbs. There's plenty of room around the outside of the shaft, at least 3/8" all the way around, so I used epoxy on the broken surfaces and twist-tightened a bailing wire loop around the shaft. The twisted ends of the bailing wire sticks out about 1/4" but it doesn't interfere with anything.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

To the original poster, I would consider cleaning out the heater core if you think the heat is weak. There is an ericthecarguy video on this procedure, just do a google search.

This would be a good time to change the coolant (ericthecarguy has a video on that too) and the thermostat (use one from the honda dealership).

Old 11-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
To the original poster, I would consider cleaning out the heater core if you think the heat is weak. There is an ericthecarguy video on this procedure, just do a google search.

This would be a good time to change the coolant (ericthecarguy has a video on that too) and the thermostat (use one from the honda dealership).
the heat is weak because his temp **** can not turn to max.