General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermintant fuel problemb on start up only

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Default Intermintant fuel problemb on start up only

Having a problemb on my 92 accord wagon. Have verified that the pump will not prime the system occasionally when I turn the key to the #2 position. Also pulled the hose off of the regulator and witnessed no fuel when cycling the key.

Thing is when it does start it runs fine without any fuel problembs. This leads me to believe there is a shorted wire some where in the switch somewhere.

Also I'm having troubles finding the fuel relay mounted near the dash fuse box. Does anyone have any pics of it because the haynes manuel is hard to see.

Also what wire will I need to look for in the ignition switch the controls the relay and primes the system??

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

The main fuel relay supplies power to the fuel pump. You should determine if the pump is not priming due to not getting power.

You have a wagon, so I am not sure exactly where the access panel to the fuel sending unit is located. It has to be behind the back seat. Anyway, there is a 3-pin connector which one is a yellow wire. I would back-probe the yellow wire and hook a 12V test light to that yel wire and ground on the other side. If the light does not turn on, then you have a main fuel relay problem.

For the MFR location see: http://www.techautorepairs.com/mainrelaydefine.html

Here is info for soldering the MFR: http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

Old 08-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

When it DOES work, the main relay clicks when you turn the key to ON. Then after 2 seconds it clicks agains when the fuel pump turns off. Follow the sound...