General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack failed but I'm alive. Where do I buy a new one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Default Jack failed but I'm alive. Where do I buy a new one?

I was pulling my moms minivan around the corner to load some garbage from the garage and right away it felt weird. I stop in the street and walk around and find the front passenger tire completely deflated and halfway coming off the wheel. I didn't notice when I was getting in because there was snow around the car. So now I'm in the middle of the street and I get out the jack and donut and all that. I get off the tire and put on the donut and am hand tightening the lugs and jack breaks. Luckily I had just put on the last lug so the van only fell and inch or two and only scraped my arm rather than breaking it in half.

Anyway, I'm pissed at honda (this is an odyssey and using the supplied jack that had never been used before).

But now I need to buy a jack so the same **** doesn't happen again. I'd like to spend under $100 but will spend more if it means a quality product. Preferably portable and won't break. Also need a jack stand I guess then.

I was searching sears but they have 1 racing jack or something. Don't think that is what I should be looking for. Also, looking to buy this ASAP so preferably some place I can drive to in person to buy.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Administrator
Default Auto Zones Open On Sundays 9Am to 8Pm

2 1/2 ton jack, maybe $39.99, strong , safe , secure...
WheelBrokerAng

Old 02-08-2009, 12:50 PM

OK, I went to AutoZone and they only had a 2 ton jack for 39.99 so I got it since the 3 ton jack was 129.99.

Anyway, I am jacking the car up and then I go to put the jack stand but there is not enough room. The jack takes up most of the space and the jacking point on the car is only like 4 inches so I have no room to put the stand in. I put the car back down because I am a little weary of changing the tire with the jack holding it up being that it has wheels.

Can someone help me out? If I am not being clear I can take a picture and upload it so you can see what I am talking about.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:22 PM

I found the jacking point under the engine but now my jack stands are too tall...
Minimum height of the stands is 10.5" and I need like 9 or 9.5"

This is annoying =[

Maybe I am just scared to keep jacking up the car. I get it to about the 9in high and then I hear the spring in the jack make a little popping noise. Not broken but I guess there is a lot of tension or something and I am scared to push more because there is significant resistance and I don't want to break it or get hurt.

Please advise.

Last edited by ZionsWrath; 02-08-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Why not go to Honda and point out their jack failed on first use. I suspect they may replace w/o cost to you. Honda makes good products, but your's must have had a manufacturing defect or material defect that caused this failure.

You can also purchase used jacks on ebay. That's what I did on a Toyota Celica I purchased and found not to have a jack.

good luck