General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Default Just a Few Questions

I need to replace the outer right CV joint boot and would appreciate some advice.

1.) Is there any reason why I should not just jack up that side instead of the entire front section?

2.) Is it easier to proceed by dismantling the inner joint...and fit the new boot from that end?

3.) Does the task become very difficult absent a vise to hold the axle?

4.)Any special tips for separating the lower ball joint?

Finally...having removed the drive shaft from the transmission, is there any danger of gears falling into the vacant space and impeding reinsertion?

Thanks in advance for any insights

Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to bet you find that replacing the whole cv shaft vs the boot and joint is cheaper......you can get a new cv shaft for ~80......just a boot and outer joint,,,,,I've got that ~$200.

So, find the best place for a reman or new cv shaft and replace the whole thing.....which IMO takes 1,2,3 out.

For #4, debate. Me, a well placed "hit" by a hammer and she pops right out.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
I'm going to bet you find that replacing the whole cv shaft vs the boot and joint is cheaper......you can get a new cv shaft for ~80......just a boot and outer joint,,,,,I've got that ~$200.

So, find the best place for a reman or new cv shaft and replace the whole thing.....which IMO takes 1,2,3 out.

For #4, debate. Me, a well placed "hit" by a hammer and she pops right out.
Ya I would go with just changing the whole thing. I had changed the boot and joint on one of my other cars and it was much harder I believe...

Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member

Welcome to the information shop..Off you go to your local AutoZone with your credit card in hand and buy yourself a lifetime waranty'd product.

They will also give you directions on how to put it on your car and will even loan you the tools to do the job..

Have Fun...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Just a Few Questions-seniorcombatwings_reasonably_small.jpg  
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM

You misunderstand me. There is nothing wrong with the joint, i'm simply replacing a recently torn boot. I have the boot, which cost less than $5, and i'm now seeking the most efficient and safest way to install it. Thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can replace the boot of course, however it is a tedious and messy job. That said there are some good reasons to replace the boot, if this is the OEM cv axle. Over last two years I had tremendous problems w/ quality of Autozone CV axles and would not use them again (check my posts). If you decide to replace consider sourcing a higher quality product from Raxles or other premium cv axle builders.

Download the OEM manual from links in DIY forum Online Manuals post. This has the procedure. It is possible w/o special tools but tedious.

Also suggest searching and viewing youtube videos on the subject. I've found ericthecarguy, richpin06a, scottykilmer, and briansmoble1 are good sources, but there are other good videos.

I uses a ball joint lifter which is available from many online sources for about $20. It prevents damage to the BJ boot. I'm skeptical about hammer use on knuckle to release the lower BJ, but maybe so.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 07-27-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Accord_Ras
You misunderstand me. There is nothing wrong with the joint, i'm simply replacing a recently torn boot. I have the boot, which cost less than $5, and i'm now seeking the most efficient and safest way to install it. Thanks
There was also nothing wrong with my joint other than the torn boot. I had replaced the boot and added grease and a popping noise started to occur. I think you still have to take off the whole shaft to replace the boot. Might as well just have a new cv shaft. But if you dont want to replace the whole thing Ericthecarguy has a good video on what your looking for.