General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished timing belt, hearing weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Just finished timing belt, hearing weird noise

Let me just start by saying thanks to everyone (and there are a lot of you) who has helped me these past few weeks with all the questions I've had. If not for you guys I wouldn't have been able to get it done. Just finished my first timing belt job, fired it up: it runs! Everything seems in time, no weird vibrations etc. Then I started hearing a strange noise. When I start it, it fires right up and runs great for about 2-3 seconds. Then I start hearing a clicking noise, almost like a slapping sound. It's not consistent (it varies from between 10-15 times a second, and maybe 2-3. It seems to be coming from under the top timing belt cover; almost sounds like a belt slapping. As far as I know I did the tensioners correctly, there was (what I believed to be) a proper amount of tension on the timing and balance belts before I covered everything back up. I'm done for the day now, but I'm going to pull it off tomorrow and see what I can see. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows what I should look for? Anything specific I should be watching/checking? Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by pancho88; 03-19-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: terminology
Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

There is one bolt that is used to hold one of the tension pulleys in place to remove the timing belt. Some people forget to remove this bolt.

See this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...n-94-ex-29188/

Also, check out the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. There is a link to timing belt tensioner writeup by texashonda. One of the tensioners has a pivot that you need to install it on. This can be easily overlooked. Read his post to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yea that bolt is definitely not on there. Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So i pulled both timing covers and ran the motor for a few seconds and the noise is definitely coming from the timing belt. It's loose and is flapping all over the place. I thought I installed the tensioners correctly? I checked without pulling timing and balance belts, and both springs are still on correctly and have plenty of tension. Any tips on getting some tension on that bad boy?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Search for v=AoJcAS58CHg on YouTube for a video on a civic timing belt.

Watch how he sets the tension at the end.