General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got an 05 Lx with issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Question Just got an 05 Lx with issues

Just acquired this 2005 Accord LX 4 door 2.4L Automatic from my daughters meat head of a husband.

Says the Oxygen sensors need replacement. Not sure which brands are best and which part numbers to shop for. Sure would like to find some well written articles on what I need at hand before jumping into this project.

It also has dash lights that dim on their own and the stereo isn't working. Not sure if these are common problems or it I have gremlins in the dash.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
Denso makes the sensors for Honda in the first place, so that's the kind to get. Both sensors are down low, easier to get from underneath the car. Got good jack-stands? Don't let the car fall down when you're underneath...!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Welcome to HAF!

Moved your posts for better exposure and correct forum.

Suggest posting the O2 sensor code that is presented. Sometimes, the cause is not the sensor, but other equipment.

Denso's are good and readily available from many sources at reasonable prices; ebay, amazon, rockauto, etc.

good luck

Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 AM

#1. Took it to Auto Zone and they tested it for me. It is the rear O2 sensor. Ordered one.

#2. Pulled the fuse on the radio to test. It was good. Re-installed it and the radio works now. Contacted my daughter and she said that is how meat head would get it to work. Then all of a sudden he would start up the car and no radio. Pull the fuse and re-install and it would work again...even tried a new fuse with same results.

#3. After further driving at night the dimming is more like a flicker. Kinda like something you would experience if something using high amperage was starting up. The only thing running is the headlights and defrost. Does the compressor run when the defrost is running? I know some vehicles turn the compressor on during defrost cycle to pull the moisture out of the cab...only thing is the compressor uses very little electricity.

Thanks
TGPB

Old 11-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Again the actual code (example, P0137 is for low voltage and P0141 is for the heater circuit) is much better than just replacing the O2 as it could be something else........but that is me. Does the CEL and the radio issue or the dimming issue seem to be related in any way....like the radio does not work and the CEL trips.......radio works and the CEL does not come on?

Check the connections at the battery. Also be sure to check where the ground cable contacts the body and then to the engine/trans. Honda's act real funny with bad grounds.

Can remember but I'm pretty sure the AC kicks on in defrost on this gen (some did, some didn't so hence why I get confused ). I think this can be turned off either all the time (check owners manual) or you will have to hit the ac button everytime to do this manually.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:01 PM

It was P0141 code.

The radio does not appear to be related to the dimming issue.

After further review it sounds like the radios in these cars have had a lot of issues. I started the car up last night to move it in the driveway. The radio was on then it went off, then the screen went dim then out. It was still back lit but no clock or images on the screen.

Last edited by The Grand Pooh-Bah; 11-11-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

We'll assume the fuse is good, test the resistance of the sensor.

Again, a bad ground on a Honda can casue all kinds of issues. I'm still trying to figure out the radio issue.....pulling and re-inserting the fuse makes it work?????

PS- sounds like you are not a fan of "meat head".....