General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key will not turn! Stranded

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 12:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Key will not turn! Stranded

Hey everyone been having an intermittent problem with my 2007 honda accord 2.4 . Lately when I try to start the car the key will go in but will not turn in any direction. I'm aware there is a steering lock or anti theft but I've tried to wiggle the steering wheel put my foot on the break in all sort of sequences and it will not turn over. I've done some research and people are saying the tumblers wear out. I've also contacted Honda and a whole steering lock ignition assembly is 500 bucks up here and I just can't afford that right now. I do have a second key and it doesn't make a difference. Is there any tricks I can do ?? Thank you all God bless.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

A temporary fix would be to spray wd40 on the lock. See if that frees up the tumblers.

A permanent fix is to pull the lock assembly and have a locksmith rebuild the lock with new tumblers that will match your original key.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A temporary fix would be to spray wd40 on the lock. See if that frees up the tumblers.

A permanent fix is to pull the lock assembly and have a locksmith rebuild the lock with new tumblers that will match your original key.

The thing with wd40 is it usually attracts dust and debris later on which would not be good inside the cylinder. That is a good idea for rebuilding the cylinder

Old 04-11-2021, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

The WD40 would be temporary until you get the lock repaired. There is likely dirt/dust in there, so you may be able to free a stuck tumbler. Use a shop vac to remove most of the wd40.

Most likely a tumbler is worn or a spring is damaged and will need replaced.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The WD40 would be temporary until you get the lock repaired. There is likely dirt/dust in there, so you may be able to free a stuck tumbler. Use a shop vac to remove most of the wd40.

Most likely a tumbler is worn or a spring is damaged and will need replaced.

Sounds good. So where would I get this repaired ? I don't think the dealer will have tumblers to purchase . Is it a big job to remove this assembly ?

Old 04-11-2021, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

You can call the dealership to find out. Call a local locksmith to see if they can do the repair or recommend a locksmith who can.

To save money, you probably have to remove the lock assembly. The top bolts are round, so you have to use a centerpunch on the edge and a chisel to remove the bolt. Look on youtube for video on how to remove the lock assembly. You may also find what is required to remove the lock cylinder.