General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Keyless Entry & Door Switch Malfunctions

Old 02-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Default Keyless Entry & Door Switch Malfunctions

Hello, everyone! I am having an issue with my '05 Accord EX V-6.

The keyless entry has stopped working completely. None of the buttons work, whether the car is running or not.

Inside the car the lock switches on both doors do not work when the car is off. They do work when the car is on. Also, when I use the physical key to unlock/lock the car it only performs the function on that door, none of the others.

As a side note, I also noticed a couple things with the instrument panel. The odometer changes it's setting whenever I turn the car off. I have it set to show the outside temp, but when I turn the car back on it resets to the odometer reading. Also, the fuel, temp, and RPM gauges stay in their location when I turn it off. They do not return to the far left position.

These issues came yesterday when I noticed my battery running dead and the constant "clicking" sound when trying to start the car. I had a new battery installed, and it starts, but the other issues came up. I've read many threads about people having issues with their locking systems, however my issue seems to stem from something bigger.

I appreciate any and all advice I can get about finding a solution to this problem!!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have the owners manual. Many of these do have a "reset" of sorts if the battery goes dead or changed. Please be sure the cables are clean and tight.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I did check the manual. I was instructed to remove the battery connection and reconnect it with jumper cables for 15 minutes for it to reset. No change.

I also noticed last night (before doing the battery-jumper cable test) that the interior dome light is not automatically turning on.

Could it be the fuse/relay box? My fuses are all good (under the hood and steering column), but maybe be the control box located behind those fuses?

Old 02-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, just checking. My '07 Pilot has some strange thing of rolling down the left/driver side rear window and another step or two that resets one of the control units.

Don't have a real good manual for the 05. In the one I do have, many of the items that are not working are tied back to #15 40amp fuse....the bad thing Is I can't see which fuse panel and its location in that. Do you have a test light or volt meter?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Default Thank you, oh, thank you!

Thank you so much poorman212! Your last thread helped me to find the problem.

When mentioning the 40amp fuse under the hood, that prompted me to search more closely to understand which fuses control which items. That then lead me to my interior box fuse #7 which in the manual is "back-up", and get a more clear understanding of what that fuse helps control. It controls the items that were failing.

I checked and it was blown. Immediately after replacing it the interior lights came on, my power door locks work again, and the keyless entry system is up and running.

poorman212, you helped me to question my actual fuses further and that lead me to an inexpensive fix (and from a lot of embarrassment)!!

Thank you so much!!

Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 AM

Hi all, I have a 2003 accord Lx model and had issues with my back passenger power window and It was fixed after we discovered a fuse was blown.
After replacing the blown fuse, back power was fixed.4days later the car key remote stopped working but the indicator light on the remote still comes on but it doesn't open or close the doors or the trunk of. the car.Is it possible I have a blown fuse again or the remote control is faulty because I tried reprogramming the remote and it did not cycle the doors.
Please I really need your help with this.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Default Key fob issues

It sounds like you should reprogram the key fob again ensuring you go through the cycle entirely. I know with computers if you skip a step it never truly installs/sets-up correctly. Since you said it did not cycle the doors that indicates to me the set-up was not run through 100%.

First check the fuses again...you never know. That was my problem before. To my understanding the fuses under the hood control the fuses under the steering wheel. If it is another blown fuse under the steering wheel you may have an electrical issue stemming from under the main box under the hood. I'm not an expert, but that is where I would look.

Did you recently replace the battery? Is it the correct battery for the car? Maybe there is an unbalanced power source causing surges in the system overloading the fuses. Maybe there is an exposed wire or a power source not grounded properly.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, but this is where I would begin searching for solutions. Beyond checking the fuses and programming the remote again I am just spit-balling ideas to get the mind thinking of possibilities.