General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lean machine

Old 06-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Default Lean machine

After doing the swap to the F23, I noticed some pinging. Checked the usual stuff (vacuum leaks, EGR, etc.) and even threw in a set of colder plugs. So, I put in premium and thought that the pinging diminished, although it was still there. I got new tires about two months ago. They were much quieter and now I notice the pinging more. I did a trip out to Montana at speeds that were, shall we say, fairly high at times (just keeping up with the traffic flow, honest). When I got back, I pulled the plugs. White, which I'm assuming means that my pinging issue doesn't necessarily have to do with the higher compression and timing as it does with running lean.

Prior to replacing the engine, plug color was good (when it wasn't wet from anti-freeze) so I assume that my sensors were good. I know I shouldn't assume, so I'm going to take a look at it with the analyzer this week and get some data. I'm hoping a sensor is marginal, but my fear is that the calibration is the root cause and I'm stuck running lean. I thought the computer closed the loop on O2 and wouldn't let the engine run lean, but maybe there are limits to how far it will deviate from nominal?

Has anyone here who's done the swap noticed a lean condition and have you been able to correct it? Any words of advice? Regarding the swap, I stripped the motor down to a long block and put all the F22 goodies on the F23.

Last edited by basket_case; 06-10-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:24 AM

Did that long block include the f23 injectors, rail and pressure regulator, or did you reuse the f22's?
major long shot there but hey worth a check

Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by kayweb
Did that long block include the f23 injectors, rail and pressure regulator, or did you reuse the f22's?
major long shot there but hey worth a check
From the F22, I used:
injectors
fuel rail
fuel pressure regulator
throttle body (including TPS, MAP, FITV, IAC)
intake manifold
exhaust manifold

Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Bump.

Roader, where are you? I know you've done this swap and had some pinging. Have you checked your plugs or have any other indication it's running lean?

Old 06-12-2013, 01:37 AM

Is it possible that the f22's fuel system is providing a slightly lean mixture given the extra 100 ccs of displacement?

Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I noticed pinging yesterday for the first time this year. Ambient temp was 100°. Filled up with premium and the pinging went away.

F23A1s in OBD2b cars have a half-point higher compression than F22s and a knock sensor that tells the ECU to dial back the timing when it pings. OBD2a ECUs don't have knock sensor circuits.

IDK for sure if F23s injectors have more volume than F22's. I'm using F22 injectors on the F23's intake manifold. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the injector volume was the same between the two engines but I don't remember where I saw that. I don't think my F23 is running lean. By coincidence I had the car emission tested yesterday. In Colorado it's a four minute dynamometer test with speeds up to 50mph. Here's the comparison between the two engines:

F22B2: HC = 0.17, CO = 2.2

F23A1: HC = 0.22; CO = 2.8

This tells me that the engine isn't running lean. But I haven't pulled the plugs since the swap. I frequently travel through Utah where the speed limit is 80mph (and the traffic is 85mph) and as long as I'm using premium gas I don't hear any pinging. Another long shot, but maybe it has to do with using the F22's intake manifold? The F23 flows better and supposedly it's worth 5hp - 10 hp gain. IDK if it would have anything to do with pinging.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by kayweb
Is it possible that the f22's fuel system is providing a slightly lean mixture given the extra 100 ccs of displacement?
I thought about that. I'm hoping the 4% difference falls within normal tolerances but the extra displacement is in the wrong direction.

I got my hands on an engine analyzer that will display live data and also capture data so I can play it back and see what's happening and when. I'll see what I can learn from it. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to an exhaust gas analyzer so I can't check for excess O2. I may just put a new O2 sensor on. After over 200k miles on the thing, it's probably due.

Roader - thanks for the data. You didn't happen to get an O2 reading, did you? Emissions testing in my state only consists of plugging into the DLC and checking for codes if you're car is OBD II so I don't really get anything useful from the test.

I'll poke around some more and see what turns up.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by basket_case
You didn't happen to get an O2 reading, did you?
I didn't. All the numbers from the test the other day on the F23:
  • HC:0.22 measured, 1.20 limit
  • CO:2.77 measured, 15.0 limit
  • CO2: 319 actual, (no limit)
  • NOx: 0.97 actual, 2.00 limit

Two years ago on the F22:
  • HC:0.17 measured, 1.20 limit
  • CO:2.19 measured, 15.0 limit
  • CO2: 319 actual, (no limit)
  • NOx: 0.66 actual, 2.00 limit
F22s have four small EGR ports in the intake manifold. F23s have one big EGR port dumping into the plenum. Another long shot: F23s dump more exhaust gas into the intake to reduce detonation.

If the EGR passages are already squeaky clean, try an octane booster.

Attached Thumbnails Lean machine-0.jpg   Lean machine-imag0762_zps6a2c49ba.jpg