General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at used 96 4cyl wagon-no records-just do timing belt and water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Default Looking at used 96 4cyl wagon-no records-just do timing belt and water pump?

I'm looking at a 96' Accord wagon, 4 cyl - AT, on a lot, with 190k registered. Car is very clean, like one-owner clean, thing is, no records are available. So, do I just assume it's time for a timing belt, tensioner, and water pump?

Are these interference engines?

Going to look and drive tomorrow; anything else particular to this generation I should look/listen closely to?

How finicky are the AC systems to service (in case the AC isn't up to snuff)?
Not Freeon is it?

. I'm an old-school shade-tree farm-kid-mechanic, so aged American cast iron I'm familiar with; cars like the 96 accord, not so much... the wife and I have run the heck out of a 96 Civic 4cyl 5sp the last couple of years, however.

Input?

Thanks, Joe

Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

The timing belt is due every 90K miles, so you may be past due. You can get the VIN number and call a Honda dealership to see what service records are in the system for that car.

I would highly recommend that you take the car to a shop that specializes in hondas to do a buyer's inspection.

This accord does have an interference engine.

The A/C isn't too difficult to service. It depends on what is wrong with the car.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:32 PM

Seller is a 30+ year Honda master-tech, but since he's the seller, not sure how much to trust whatever he says - don't know him - also don't want to dis on him. He has a lot and station at the base of the coastal pass - his 3 sons are also master techs, and 2 are running large dealerships - yes, he seems to talk as much about himself as the cars he's selling

He and the car are 1.5 hr drive away - makes it a little more difficult to make 'local' appointments, etc.

Carfax - wow, never used it, perhaps because it's been almost 20 years since I actually went about car shopping. License number turns up car, with 18 records. So, these have been reported if the car was serviced/repaired at a dealership? What of independent shops?

I see in the fine print carfax is only supposed to be used for private party buy/sell, not dealers. What's with that?

Thanks for the thoughts

Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

18 doesn't seem like too many for a 16 year old car. There is usually one for every time the car is registered/inspected. Also if the vehicle has been in an accident and a police report was filed there will be a record. While a lot of dealers report service now, not too many in the 90s did. Also very few private shops put information into that system.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 AM

There may be a date on the belt you'd have to pull the cover off, given the seller is "Mechanic" he may be willing to do it. Carfax only weeds out bad cars it doesn't tell you if you found a good car if that makes any sense.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Auto Check returns 34 records. And yes, I understand it can't tell me it's a good car, but can tell me if it's a bad one.

Another important consideration of mine when looking at a car with almost 200k: do the automatic transmissions go out like clockwork on these cars? Or do a great majority see 300k with the original AT in them?

I also see several Accords on craigslist with similar mileage with the motors recently replaced - is the motor also likely near the end of it's usable service life?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 AM

The seller offers a 30 day real good deal (warranty on engine, trans, drivetrain). I asked about the timing belt. He said he offers the belt/pump job anytime during the first 3 months for $275. Others in our area are more in the $400 range.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sounds like a great doea, what are you waiting for?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have a 94 EX w/ auto at 245K miles and trans is still shifting nicely. I think you may have found a keeper.

AC is easy to repair and can be returned to working order from totally damaged system w/ used parts for < $500, assuming you do most of the work yourself. Most likely, only leaks need to be repaired.

good luck