General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing oil fast

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 AM
PLN595
Unregistered
Default Losing oil fast

I'm a new guy to this forum thing but I need help. I have a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe with a 4 cyl. V-Tech. with about 138000 miles on it. I've been losing oil steadly for the last couple of years (1 qt. every 500 miles)and it has finely gotten to the point where I need to get it fixed. There is no visable oil leakage anywhere on or around the engine or car. I have heard from friends about value seals and rings but no definit answer. How involved is this proceedure and does it really need to be done? I also am planning on doing the timing belt, should this be done at the same time? Is there another solution or possible problem? I have a little car repair experiance but is this operation above my skil level? I need to fix before summer because I'm doing a 5K drive around the states this summer. Help please!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Losing oil fast

First look at the air intake duct near the throttle body and inlet to the throttle body. If you see lots of dirt and oil evidence. the PCV system may be the problem. There should be plenty of evidence w/ 1qt/500 miles. The PCV can pull oil with the crankcase vapor into the intake duct if the PCV is not functioning or the PCV hose to intake manifold is blocked. Check the PCV system; valve, hoses for operation and no obstruction. A new PCV may fix the oil consumption.

If the car has had regular oil changes, I would be surprised to see that level of oil consumption by the oil control rings.

It might be possible for the valve stem seals to be leaking oil into the cylinders and burning the oil. I had this on a Mitsubishi V6. When the car was fully warmed, you would see a puff-puff-puff of blue oil smoke after a prolonged idle, and a large cloud of blue oil smoke on initial acceleration aftera prolonged idle. Car exhaust was clean at steady speeds. Oil consumption was similar to yours. These are relatively easy fix, for a good mechanic. This job would be a challenge for an inexperienced DIY'r.

good luck

Old 02-23-2008, 06:29 AM
PLN595
Unregistered

Well, I got a check engine light on and the code turned out to be the Air Intake sensor. Removed it and found it to be badly caked with oils and whatever. Not sure what this means but more to come I'm sure......

Old 02-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

That's a sign that your PCV valve is plugged up. That sends oil thru the vent line into the intake duct. That's how your IAT sensor got oily.