General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power, car sputters/backfires

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

quote:
Even though the battery tested good could I still have a bad cell that would pass it as good?

Did you test it with a normal voltmeter? Or a load-tester? Or take it in to some car=parts store?

A battery with a bad cell can look OK if you're measuring with a normal voltmeter. That doesn't check it "under load".

-------

Belt noise
Did you remove the power-steering belt completely then run the engine to rule out the PS pump or belt? Up to 2002 you can also remove the other belt (alternator & AC) and the engine will run just fine because the waterpump will still run.

Belts get hard & slippery with age. Don't over-tighten to compensate for that because that's hard on the bearings.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
quote:
Even though the battery tested good could I still have a bad cell that would pass it as good?

Did you test it with a normal voltmeter? Or a load-tester? Or take it in to some car=parts store?

A battery with a bad cell can look OK if you're measuring with a normal voltmeter. That doesn't check it "under load".

-------

Belt noise
Did you remove the power-steering belt completely then run the engine to rule out the PS pump or belt? Up to 2002 you can also remove the other belt (alternator & AC) and the engine will run just fine because the waterpump will still run.

Belts get hard & slippery with age. Don't over-tighten to compensate for that because that's hard on the bearings.
When I brought it yesterday to oriely they said it had 11~ on their machine and that it just needed a good charge.

Battery's are supposed to be 12 volts right?

When I got home I tested it with a multimeter. I don't have a load tester.

EDIT

This is a picture of how loose the belt that's on the alternator is, I can flex it either way and it moves.

http://prntscr.com/57sl60

This is a cord that was under my dash on the drivers side, any idea where it goes too?

http://prntscr.com/57sly4

Sorry for the picture size.

Last edited by 5TWENTY3; 11-18-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Here are some images with some notes I included in regards to adjusting belt tension. The second image is the belt deflection measure done if you don't have a belt tension gauge.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 5TWENTY3

This is a cord that was under my dash on the drivers side, any idea where it goes too?

Screenshot by Lightshot

Is your Accord an EX? Those kind of looks to be the wiring that was for the security control unit if it is an EX.