General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:15 AM
Default loud pipes ?

i have a small problem on my 96 accord119k miles,the problem is that sometimes when pressing the gas the car makes a real loud kind of vibration sound in the pipe or something , you can feel it under the seat, and then it goes away after a couple seconds . it used to happen once in a while but now its occurring more frequently, it doesnt affect the performance, but it concerns me because its getting worse. i did just have a new exhaust put on it , but the problem happened before that was done though. if anybody has any help on this it is much appreciated because the wife wont leave me alone about it, and i dont want to let her drive the new car 04 accord. thanks

Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: loud pipes ?

did the new exhaust replace the whole thing from the cat-back, cause it sounds kinda like a exhaust leak.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:43 AM

You could have a part of the exhaust system vibrating at certain RPM's. When I had the DC Sports header installed one of the supplied exhaust hangers wouldn't fit in the stock location and it was left off. Now @ 2500 RPM it buzzes a bit and can be felt in the cabin briefly.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:23 AM

thanks for the help, that sounds like it to me because it only lasts a few seconds when first accelorating. do you think i can just bolt it up a little better somewhere in the front?

Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 AM
canaccord96
Unregistered

Sounds like the same prob I had. Could be the cheap aluminum heat shroud/protector down there by the manifold.
I tightened it up and the annoying vibration went away.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:54 PM

im not too familiar with these things what does it look like and where is it

Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 PM

i took it back to the shop that put the new exhaust on [catback], they didnt see anything wrong with it. all the pipes are secure, the shield over the exhaust pipe is secure as well. but i dont know where the heat shroud/shield is . they tightened up a little something towards the muffler but that didnt do it.they are a good honest shop, but they speak mainly spanish, and me only english so i dont think we are taon the same page when im describing a heat sheild by the manifold. it didnt happen when they were revvving the car, but it doesnt happen all the time. any other thoughtsor diagrams i can find on here so i can see where the heat schroud is exactly thanks

Old 03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

The heat shroud over the manifold is really easy to find. Pop the hood. Stand in front of the car and open the hood. Look at the front of the engine. You will see a piece of metal that should have a stamp on it of a hand in a circle with a line going through the hand, kind of like a no smoking sign, you know? That is your exhaust manifold heat shield.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 PM

how many bolts does it have on it. thanks for the info, thats what i thought but i needed someone to tell me for sure

Old 03-27-2007, 11:38 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Um, I think it has three? I think thats what mine had, Im not sure. I took mine off a while ago. One of the bolts sheared off and theres just a little nub sticking out of the exhaust manifold now. Oh well.