General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I find/buy the middle and rear exhaust pipes for a 1990 Honda Accord DX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Default Where can I find/buy the middle and rear exhaust pipes for a 1990 Honda Accord DX?

I have been trying to find the different parts of my exhaust pipes to replace my holey exhaust. I need the middle exhaust piece (That has the resonator) and the rear exhaust pipe (that includes the muffler). I have searched online, but most of the time it shows me a cat back exhaust system for hundreds of dollars or it shows an exhaust system with different numbered parts of the exhaust.

The first thing that went wrong with my exhaust was at the back end of resonator (where the curve ends), it rusted away and broke off so I put in a couple inch piece of exhaust I bought at auto parts store so it wouldn't be hanging and scraping at times. Then I noticed a hole in the muffler and the tail pipe has a crack on the weld beads where it was welded to the muffler.

Where can I find/buy the middle and rear exhaust pipes for a 1990 Honda Accord DX and what online store would you suggest has the best prices?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

I usually go to a site like hondapartsnow.com and look up the oem part number that you are looking for. If you are looking for part #15 in the pic below, then the part number is 18220-SM1-A35. Look it up yourself just to double check.

The list price is what the dealership sells it. That part is $123 at the dealership. The discount price is without shipping, so the dealership may be the better deal in some cases.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 PM

Thanks. By the way, how come part #17 looks very similar to #15? Is that for an automatic Accord?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

That parts diagram shows different exhaust setups for the different accords. Not sure what setup used #17

Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 PM

If I bought part #15 and part #22, I want to make sure I get the right flange gaskets. Is there only the pre-chamber gasket, part #26 where the catalytic flange and center exhaust flange bolt together? I am confused because I see only 2 different shaped exhaust pipe flange gaskets on FCPImport.com and I see round gaskets too...ugh!

The good news is they sell the center exhaust piece for $45.26 with free shipping.

Just want to make sure I get the correct flange gaskets, bolts, etc. And do you have to use some gasket sealant of some kind for the flange gaskets?

Last edited by letsclique; 07-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Administrator
Old 07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

You dont need to use RTV on the exhaust seals. I'm not sure which gaskets you will need.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I just went through the same thing searching for the same parts. I found both pipes with resonator and muffler locally for about $160.00. I ended up at the wrecking yard to get a bumper and 2 doors, low and behold a car just came in in my same color and year as mine with a relatively new exhaust. The exhaust cost me $20.00 but I got lucky. If you get direct fit parts from the jobber you should have no worries on installation

Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
I just went through the same thing searching for the same parts. I found both pipes with resonator and muffler locally for about $160.00. I ended up at the wrecking yard to get a bumper and 2 doors, low and behold a car just came in in my same color and year as mine with a relatively new exhaust. The exhaust cost me $20.00 but I got lucky. If you get direct fit parts from the jobber you should have no worries on installation
Thanks! I was thinking about this salvage yard I have been to a couple times, to call and ask if they can find the center and rear exhaust in good condition. But was thinking/debating in my head would that make sense, though the man at the salvage yard said they try to keep Honda Accord's in stock because they are popular around here. And I was also thinking maybe some parts of the Accord's at the wrecking yard might be trashed/parted out, etc., though the stuff underneath cars might not be. I will call the salvage yard first before I end up paying around $100 for new exhaust parts.

I have found the exhaust with resonator at FCP Import for $45.26 with free shipping and the rear exhaust with muffler from them for almost $56 + free ship. I emailed someone from sales to see if they could help me find the right flange gaskets and a man emailed me back a link to a diagram that helped. Here is the link and I uploaded a screen shot of it just in case other people on this forum need help finding the correct flange gaskets.

Attached Thumbnails Where can I find/buy the middle and rear exhaust pipes for a 1990 Honda Accord DX?-exhaust-diagram-edit.jpg