Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Please HELP! Need to remove exhaust pipes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Exclamation Please HELP! Need to remove exhaust pipes!

Sup guys... new to this forum.. I have a reallllyyyyyyyy annoying problem and I hoped that someone more experienced than me can give me some advice on how to handle the bolts on the exhaust system?

I don't exactly know how the exhaust piping is called connecting the catalytic converter to both of the mufflers, but that is the part that I need to change. I guess since it wasn't touched for about 10 years, it is time to change it. I went to the garage and their answer was as expected, " why don't we change the entire exhaust system?"... nothing like spending 1200 $ when only 1 part needs replacing. So one of the mufflers fell off because of wear but I manage to save it. So I want to keep both mufflers and the cat, and just replace the middle piping there

Basically, since that specific part only costs around 150$ dollars, there are only 7 bolts seperating me from that 150$ fix. [url=http://www./
The pictures speak for themselves. Please help guys I don't have the money to get this fixed at a shop I need to fix it myself, how do I take those bolts off, and do I need to know anything else when installing the new part?

Honda type: Accord 2002, V6 , 3.0 L

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Please HELP! Need to remove exhaust pipes!-1.jpg   Please HELP! Need to remove exhaust pipes!-2.jpg   Please HELP! Need to remove exhaust pipes!-5.jpg   Please HELP! Need to remove exhaust pipes!-6.jpg   Please HELP! Need to remove exhaust pipes!-7.jpg  

Old 11-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you mean how to take off rusty bolts, following are some suggestions:

1) If you have access to an air impact, clean the exposed thread ends first w/ wire brush to remove loose rust, spray w/ penetrant, and use air impact to break or twist off. Replace hardware.

Alternatively, heat w/ propane torch before attempting to break loose and use candle wax on exposed thread ends. This supposedly allows wax to be pulled into rusty threads.

2) Use a die grinder to grind the bolt heads or nuts off.

3) Use an acetylene torch and burn the bolt heads off.

4) Use an air impact driver w/ cutting head to cut the bolt ends off.

good luck