General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Low pitch, repetitive noise after timing belt change (VIDEO LINKS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Roader
Don't be so quick to blame your mechanic for a slight noise from your 12-year-old, 100K mile car. Yeah he could have screwed up but the noise could be from a number of things unrelated to the parts he replaced. Others have pointed out that the tensioners weren't replaced. Alternators and P/S pumps can get noisy.
Absolutely true statement. However, it's a simple fact that the car (during the past 96,000 miles) never produced this noise until the timing belt and other parts were replaced. Deductive reasoning tells me the work performed in January probably plays a substantial role in contributing to it...

As I said before, all I would like is for the source of the noise to be located and fixed (especially if it's something that could cause a brand new timing belt to break without warning)...that would definitely not be a cheap scenario. I think I'll follow UhOh's lead and give him one more try (and ensure the noise is recognizable). I just hope that taking everything apart and putting it back together 4 times in less than a year won't cause something else to break down.