General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making performance exhaust quieter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Making performance exhaust quieter?

In NH, we have state inspections of vehicles every year. I'm talking with someone online who has a sweet '99 possibly for sale, but it's got a performance exhaust (header-back) on it that isn't passing inspection at multiple shops on noise.

I was wondering, if it has no muffler (it must have a cat,) if it's possible to just cut a section of pipe out and put in a muffler at a shop for not too much? If it has a muffler, I don't mind paying for one that passes.

By the by...he also can't pass on the tinted windows. I read online that it can be removed DIY by using a steamer very carefully. Is that generally true? It's all done up with a body kit, custom paint, etc, and I don't think he wants to tone it down to pass it; kinda like some people don't want to neuter their dogs. I think he'd rather pass the problem off to someone else instead of deal with it anymore (he just bought the car, himself, from a dealer.)

It's so...shiny...I want it... o.O

Oh, yeah, I think it's been raced. That concerns me. Why else would it have a carbon fiber hood with pins and a deck lid to match, 16" wheels, etc? Wannabe, I'd hope.

Thx.