General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission issue/noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Default Manual Transmission issue/noise

Hey guys, i am posting a link to the video where you can actually hear my issue...when the clutch is pressed in there is no noise, when it is out, you can hear that grinding? noise...i replaced the clutch and bearing, but did not touch the flywheel (i know, i should have).. my car is an 02 accord 4 cyl manual tranny with 198,xxx miles..i am just not sure if this is a flywheel related noise..any input would be appreciated. Clutch noise - YouTube

Old 02-11-2012, 05:03 PM

any ideas out there?

Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

driven MT's for years I don't have a solid idea here, but here's how I would analyze it:

A) well, you say when stopped with the transmission spinning in neutral (clutch out) you have a grinding noise.
(guessing that the same grinding noise is there when you're in gear, clutch engaged and moving? let's assume YES.)

B) guessing that the same grinding noise is there when you're in gear and moving, but push in the clutch so engine is disconnected but still rolling? let's assume YES.

C) you say the grinding noise goes away, if standing still in neutral, when the tranny stops spinning, clutch pushed in, so
it couldn't be the flywheel because flywheel is on the engine side of the clutch and
never stops spinning even though the noise goes away.

D) You put a new clutch and throw-out bearing in to no effect. A bad throw-out bearing
would seem to make the opposite noise anyway (would make noise when the clutch is pushed in vs. your issue = quiet when pushed in).

This rules out flywheel and clutch throw-out bearing as I see it.
The noise only happens when the transmission shaft itself is spinning.

if all this is correct, it would suggest something inside transmission is source of noise (worn out bearing?). To check I'd put the front up on jacks
and start motor, use mechanics stethescope (~$6 @ harbor freight tools or elsewhere [most useful tool]) or a long screwdriver
held to your ear to see if the noise comes from the engine, or clutch, or tranny. I'd repeat observation now in 1st gear with wheels spinning.

long answer, trying to help in absence of others. I could be wrong, but make any sense?

Last edited by UhOh; 02-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have a similar noise coming from my transmission as well. A friend who has a shop helped me replace the clutch (and flywheel/pressure plate/throw out bearing). Noise went down a little but persisted. When you push the clutch in, does the tachometer go up 50-100 rpms when the engine is cold?

My friend said the main shaft bearing was starting to go.
Also, this may be unrelated, but my engine syncs at 2,000 rpms not 3,000 like any other manual I've driven.

Last edited by a.newhouse; 02-12-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

I've had a throw-out bearing make noise when the clutch is engaged. That seems normal, because when you press the clutch pedal (to disengage the clutch) that pressure holds the bearing together so it quits rattling.

However...
If the rattling noise is in the mainshaft of the transmission, then it won't change with a new clutch & T-O bearing. The mainshaft spins when the transmission is in neutral & the clutch is engaged. When you disengage the clutch, the mainshaft coasts to a stop.