General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

missing at idle speed

Old 07-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Default missing at idle speed

Hey all
i have a problem at idle my engine is missing,i bought new plug,new distributor,cap,rotor an plugs and she is still missing but only at idle?
When i give "HER" gas she drives just fine i dont get it?
needing ur help fellas

Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Is this only when warm, only when cold (engine temp) or all the time?

I think you replaced the dist recently (?), did you check the timing?....or I'm old and have you confused with someone else......

Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Millage? First thought is clogged or partially clogged injectors

Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 AM

No poorman your not old yes i replaced the wires ,distributor,cap and rotor.
But to keep you up to date with my problem,it does it at start up but when driving it feels good not great?shes felt better!while driving she changes good accels good but when i release the gas peddle when i slow down or come to a stop i feel it and its not noticeable to some1 who just puts gas and goes but when you know your car like we do you can feel and hear when somethings wrong!
I've been in,under and on top of "HER" over and over,checked timing,valves,coil,vacuum leaks cleaned any wiring harness,ground wires that i thought could be a issue and all valves(IAC,FIT,EGR,)
Until i was letting "HER" idle i was at "HER" tail pipe smelling "HER" fumes and she smells pretty dam good if i mite add? I got a flashlite and looked in "HER" pipe and THATS! when i noticed a piece of rusted up metal stuck about 2' in the muffler?
So i got a coat hanger and got it out its about 4 to 5 inches in length and thats when i believe i found my solution to my problem?
what do you think poorman?give me your opinion on all this porfavor.i'd really like to hear what you and any of our members think.
thanks!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 AM

You cleaned your egr ports?

Put a full can of seafoam in the gas tank then fill it up with gas. Get a second one and put 1/3 in the crank case. and drive.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM

so if i put that seafoam that alone will clean my ports?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

No the seafoam will not "clean" the egr ports......once cleaned it might slow/delay the next cleaning.

So cleaning the valve and the ports can't hurt anything.....

Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 AM

Yeh your rite it cant hurt any?hell i tried just about everything so i'll give "HER" ports a go!
here's 1 more to think about?
at start up in the morning i'll let "HER" idle about 5min.and the idle stays close to 2000 RPM does not idle down so i put "HER" in drive and for about the 1st.5miles she still idles rough at stops but once shes all hot an stuff she calms "HER" idle down where she should be?
she runs good after that but coming to any stop as she down shifts i feel the miss in "HER" but at a complete stop she sounds like theres nothing wrong with "HER"?
Shes testing me?but we cant go wrong by process of elimination rite?troubleshooting is no black magic that only the pros know how to do.
Its simply having the knowledge with an intelligent approach to the problem?
so once i get these two things i will have found the solution to my problem?
Must have patience 1st.so next on my list is cleaning EGR ports!
she is so lucky i luv "HER" but more so i love my son this is the only reason im doing this?
In 6yrs.im going to look back on all this and i will save all this info and tell myself it was all worth it.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

hummmm, based upon that last bit of info (open vs closed loop)....I'm starting to think about the FITV and the Air Boost vavle.

So with that, here is where I'm at.....pull and clean the egr valve - can't remember if the 4th gen's are like the 5th - but on the 5th, one of the nuts on the egr is at an "odd" angle....so be sure to use the proper tool to remove.....Check, clean, adjust the FITV and the air boost. Then see what you have before going for the port cleaning......again two cents from a poorman....

Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 AM

sorry for the late reply fellas it was a combo of 2,the EGR valve and the IAC valve.
thanks again fellas