General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My 88 LXi has no Low Beams

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 AM
ThavionHawk
Unregistered
Default My 88 LXi has no Low Beams

I justgot an 88 Accord LXi for $950 a few days ago in a rush to replace my last car I missed the fact that onlytheHigh Beams worked, not a killer problem but as the Low beams normally die faster do to more use I figured the Lamps just needed to get replaced next chance I get.I've installed new Silver Stars but the Low Beams still don't work, and if anything can tic off the local PD or any one for that matter,its High Beams to the face. The Fusses are checked and fine, and the Lamps are new. The Headlamps only flip up when the selector is switched to High Beams, and they go down only if the selector is set to off.(The Dash Switch next to the rear defrost works too)

Please post some help, I think its the Low Beam surcket itself but it may be the switch.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: My 88 LXi has no Low Beams

You need a wiring diagram to understand the problem. Looking at later model (90 Accord), the low beams are hard wired to be on any time lights are on, they stay on when high beams are on. So your's must be different, or something strange going on. Both high and low are energized by headlight relay, however high beams only come on when stem switch is toggled. Low beams on all time.

Try downloading the 86-89 Accord manual from spoonhonda (see DIY "Online Manuals" links).

I downloaded the manual and there are separate fuses for low beams in the underdash fuse box; fuses 6 & 7. If those are good, the dimmer switch itself seems likely. Other less likely possibility is cut wires somewhere. You need the wiring diagram and a test light to trace the circuit.

good luck

Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My 88 LXi has no Low Beams

'The headlights only flip up if switched to high beam'

that clue tells the tale....the switch is not putting thru power to the retractor control unit, on low beam.

Pry out the 'H' in the center of the steering wheel; mark correct alignment with a small sharpie, or chisel.
Next is the nut holding the steering wheel on, then the cruise controlslip ring contacts, and note the position/engagement of the turn signal cancelling ring.
Then 4 phillips screws to remove the combo switch.
A couple small phillips screws and some gentle prying from the sides and you can open the combo switch and get to the contacts. Clean them up and retension the spring behind the slider contact. Put it all back together and test it.

Good Luck