General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Car will not shut off PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Default My Car will not shut off PLEASE HELP

I bought a 2001 Honda Accord . Previous owner lost the original key. So I had a new key made , no problem , I drive the car home and it WOULD NOT SHUT OFF. I drove it to my mechanic and he had to unhook all the wires from each cylinder. We have deduced that it more then likley is .. an After Market Remote Starter . The battery was dead and the car had to be jumped and then the new key was used to start the car . My Mechanic is assuming that "It Confused the car" and the after market starter engaged and that is what the deal is . Unfortunately my mechanic absolutely will not touch this . IS there any one that can walk me through the steps to remove this thing ?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:36 PM

I had the battery totally unhooked and the car still ran ...

Old 04-02-2015, 03:55 PM

The alternator was keeping the engine running.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Yea .. that makes sense .. I just need to figure out how to get that remote starter out . I do not want to have to pay some one to come out to do this .. If i can help it . I have a lot invested already and would like to save myself a little cash

Old 04-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

You need to find the remote starter control unit. It is likely under the dash on the driver's side.

Probably the easiest way to locate is by finding wires that are routed out of place. That should lead you to the remote starter control unit. There are likely splices of the original wiring to connect to the starter. Write down the wire colors that were spliced and post them on here.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

If there is a remote starter, it will be likely under the driver's side dash like PAhonda mentioned.

Although a remote starter may have many other wires, especially if it is also an alarm/remote starter combo, part of the remote starter wires would connect to the ignition switch harness wires. The remote starter wires could be spliced in anywhere along the path of the ignition switch harness (which runs from the ignition switch at the steering wheel to the driver's under-dash fuse box). The ignition switch harness connector at the driver's under-dash fuse box is a 6-P brown connector with the following wires:
  • White (always Hot battery power from under-hood Fuse No. 42)
  • Black/Yellow (IG1 power)
  • White/Black (ACC power)
  • Black/White (power (voltage) to starter cut relay and starter in START)
  • Yellow (IG2 power)
When looking under the driver's side dash, the issue can turn out to be due to a short (e.g. exposed wires touching) along the ignition switch harness wires.

You may have to remove the driver's under-dash cover to better see and access the wiring.

Attached Thumbnails My Car will not shut off PLEASE HELP-ignition-switch-wire-harness.jpg