General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my poor honda has a lot of problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Default my poor honda has a lot of problems

well, i have posted here before about my car's starting symptoms, and i thought it'd be the main relay. but before i go and attempt to replace it, i just want to make sure that is what it is. i recently discovered if i keep flipping the key to the on and crank position reallly fast, that car will start eventually, otherwise it wont. does that sound like a main relay problem still?? i mean, i can hear the fuel pump relay click when i put the key in the "on" position. BTW its a 96 EX 5 speed. i've tried to look for a few location guides for the main relay on this car, but i couldnt find any...is it under the steering colum?

also, my ABSlight turned on a few months ago, and a few weeks ago, i had to slam on my brakes while it was raining, and i noticed my anti lock brakes didnt kick in,..wherse the manual to diagnos the ABS system?

lastley, my car was in a minor accident before i bought it, and the hood never lined up w/ the body of the car, so there was always a gap. i bought a new radiator support, is it pretty easy to install this?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: my poor honda has a lot of problems

When you turn the key to the 'on' position, listen for the relay to click. That'll help you find it. That relay IS the 'main' relay.

When that relay clicks, do you hear the fuel pump running? If not, a bad relay would be a good suspicion.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:41 PM

If you can get it to go by turning it really quickly it's possible that you have an igntion issue.... when the car fails to start and you're in the on position do the dash lights come on? When you try to crank it will it turn over and just not start or does it do nothing?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It could also be the fuel pump. I had a long running intermittent failure to start on my 94 EX, that I eventually traced to the fuel pump. It would start by repeately hammering the fuel pump w/ keyswitch to ON-OFF-ON, etc till finally the pump would kick on. New pump has fixed the problem.

You need to isolate whether it's fuel or ignition problem, before looking further into a specific problem.

good luck

Old 08-31-2007, 09:52 PM

alright, i didsome observing today...when i turn the key it wont crank at all..it just doesnt start. And the dash lights do dim as i switch it from on to the start position. Also, when i initially put the key in and switch it to the on position, i can hear the fuel pump prime or sumthing, then i do hear a click...so im assuming it an ignition problem. Someone a long time ago suggested it might be the roller in the distributer.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A quick check for fuel pressure is to crack (no remove!)the pressure check plug on the fuel rail, after turning keyswitch to ON (no start). You should get a sharp, powerful spray of fuel. If it just dribbles out, the fuel filter may be blocked. You are probably getting good fuel supply.

Check for spark on one spark plug wire w/ an old plug grounded against the engine. A bright, blue-pink spark should be visible in reduced light. If no spark, check the blk/yel wire to the distributor to be sure you're getting power from keyswitch. If you have power, the coil or ignitor are likely sources of the problem, w/ the coil somewhat more likely.

good luck