General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

"Mystery" Cable Not connected to anything!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Default "Mystery" Cable Not connected to anything!?

Hello Gentlemen,
I've got a 2001 Accord that has seen its share of pavement, few hundred kilometers short of 400,000 (it's Canadian) so about 248,000 miles, 4 cylinder 5-speed manual. I just started going to a repair shop that i've been told specializes in Hondas. So I took it in for a clutch Slave cylinder replacement, got the call it was done, drove it all the way home and decided to look under the hood, and I literally found a large flat head screwdriver amongst my engine. I no longer go to him. But I also found a "Mystery" cable that was not connected to anything which the car has been driving fine, but I have my concerns. I also included a picture of one of my sparkplugs which were brand new approx one-to-two thousand miles ago and they look pretty gnarley, the white tips have small, not very serious, burn marks and they are black half way up the threads. Did I not torque them enough?

Attached Thumbnails "Mystery" Cable Not connected to anything!?-photo-4-2.jpg   "Mystery" Cable Not connected to anything!?-photo-1-3.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

That is the cruise control cable....needless to say you cruise isn't going to work. Did it work before you took it in for repairs?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Lots of folks have complained about the Bosch plugs which I think those are. The recessed tips (inside ceramic) foul very easily.

Also plug looks like you may have some oil consumption. Check PCV system carefully to be sure it's working correctly; hoses open and good PCV valve.

good luck

Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 PM

Poorman212, you Sir are correct! ha, the cruise control dash light comes on fine, I just thought it was faulty wiring. You just saved me a trip to the shop! Can't thank you enough!

TexasHonda, yeah, I suppose I'll be replacing those very soon ha. And how would I go by checking PCV system? And is it at all the same vacuum hose that one would put seafoam through as directed? Because I deffinately put seafoam in the vacuum line as well as oil and gas.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

how did you reattach it? I have the same issue and the part it attaches to is cracked.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Pull pcv valve and shake. It should rattle. I also manually check that if checks flow in one direction and flows freely in the other by sucking on "cleaned" PCV valve.

Inspect PCV hose for blockages or collapse under vacuum.

good luck