General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice: Multiple issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Need Advice: Multiple issues

Hi All

I own a '97 accord EX 4 cyn with 170k miles. Had her since new. She has multiple issues and looking for advice on with items to tackle first and the effort/cost savings of doing the repairs myself.

• The steering track boots are torn. Can I replace the boots or should I replace the whole rack? Can that be done using jack stands?
  • The rear motor mount is torn. A lot of vibration around 1500 rpms.
  • My oil pressure light blinks sporadically. Changed oil but still blinks. Idles close to zero rpms. Engine does not knock.
Other than pealing paint and wear, she runs well and has been good to me. My rear fits in the seat nicely so I don't want to lose her

Thanks
Ray

Old 10-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deathraypa
My oil pressure light blinks sporadically. Changed oil but still blinks. Idles close to zero rpms. Engine does not knock.
Pretty much any engine/car combination you choose to look at will have the oil pressure light blinking if the engine is idling near zero RPMs. I'm thinking if you fix the idle issue, the oil pressure light will take care of itself.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Watched a video on replacing the rack. I'll have a garage do it.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Steering rack boots can be replaced, however tierod outer end must be removed to allow boot to slide over tie-rod threaded end. Yes, it can be done on jack stands.

The rear motor mount can be replaced, but is challenging. See video on youtube

Agree w/ Shipo that very low idle may cause oil pressure light. If light never comes on above idle, this is likely problem. However, the oil pressure switch near the oil filter is also a common failure item and could be the problem. Fix the low idle first (clean IACV and throttle body thoroughly).

good luck

Old 10-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If light never comes on above idle, this is likely problem. However, the oil pressure switch near the oil filter is also a common failure item and could be the problem. Fix the low idle first (clean IACV and throttle body thoroughly).

good luck

The light comes after driving for about an hour.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deathraypa
The light comes after driving for about an hour.
At what engine speed? Above say 700 RPMs?

Old 10-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
At what engine speed? Above say 700 RPMs?

Some where between that and 1500. The last 2 times it happened after I had been driving for 45min to an hour.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Symptoms suggest either intermittent faulty oil pressure switch or low oil pressure.

Suggest changing the oil pressure switch. It is inexpensive and easy to replace. Faster than attempting an oil pressure test w/ a gauge. Job does require elevation of front end on jack stands or front end ramps to access the switch. I believe a large diameter special socket (autozone, etc) is necessary to remove/install the switch.

If oil pressure light comes on after swapping the switch, it will be necessary to determine what is cause of low oil pressure.

Not too long ago, there was a case where faulty oil filter pressure relief valve malfunctioned causing low oil pressure.

good luck