General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need distributor leak help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default need distributor leak help

i have been researching this problem all day and from what i have found it seems like the external o ring isnt to bad to replace but alot of varied opinions as to replacing the internal seal.
So can it be done? If so does anyone know where i can find a how to?(video preferred if possible) also im not sure if it is a hatachi or a tec but it is what ever comes stock on the 96 accord ex 4 cylinder vtec with manual trans.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Is the oil coming from inside the dist or outside?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Almost A Senior Member

not sure yet, im hoping the outside but i will know for sure tomorrow in the day light when im able to really check it out.
I figured if i was going to change the oring, i would change the inner seal while i had it off and thats when i started researching replacing the inner seal.
also i saw some where that the position of the distributor on obd1 vehicles would change the timing but not on vehicles with obd2? is that true?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

The seal on the dist shaft is an oddball size. 12.45mmX22mmX6mm

Here is where I've been getting them.

WWW bestpartsonlineDOTcom/servlet/the-1803/Ignition-Distributor-Seal-Automotive/Detail

The bearing is a standard "6000". But if the seal is leaking the bearing will be oil soaked and usually okay.

When you remove the timing ring with the 'ears' from the bottom of the dist shaft be sure to mark it.

I resealed 2 of them last week, but never thought to take pics. It is a really easy job.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by firefighter44
not sure yet, im hoping the outside but i will know for sure tomorrow in the day light when im able to really check it out.
I figured if i was going to change the oring, i would change the inner seal while i had it off and thats when i started researching replacing the inner seal.
also i saw some where that the position of the distributor on obd1 vehicles would change the timing but not on vehicles with obd2? is that true?

Regarding the timing; yes, that is true. See attached pic. regarding your car.

Attached Thumbnails need distributor leak help-1996-1997-accord-no-ignition-timing-adjustment-distributor.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Almost A Senior Member

thanks yall, i have so much to do today but as soon as i have a chance to stop for 5 seconds im gonna check into if its leaking inside or out but when i take it off i will try to go ahead and change out both.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Almost A Senior Member

i believe i can get the exterior ring from the dealership but not the interior seal so thanks again hondadude

Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Almost A Senior Member

So, No luck so far. I looked at it and with all the oil residue from it leaking i cant tell if its leaking inside or out and have been way to busy to go at it yet. i did order and receive that interior seal(thanks again hondadude). so hopefully i will find the time to break it down soon.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Did you try to replace that inner distributor seal?

I have the 96 EX 4 cyl vtec as well, and the distributor does not have an accessible inner seal that I could get to, so the only thing I was able to change was the external O-ring. Replacing the O-ring did stop a fairly noticable leak, and now that the distributor is cleaned up I can always spot (by pulling a paper towel under the distributor) a very small oil spot on the bottom of the distributor where the cap meets the body. If I pull the cap off I would see a small mount of oil collected on bottom of the inside of the distributor. It doesn't seem enough to constitute a leak so I'm leaving it alone for the time being.

I am curious as to what you were able to do with your distributor. Fyi, these distributors aren't adjustable either -- the mounting bolt holds are round, and I believe the timing advance on these is computer-controlled.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Almost A Senior Member

im finally tackling the distributor leak and need some how to advise, i already replaced the outer oring but i need to know how to get the round ring at the end of the shaft (the one with the "ears" on it) off?

Also if it helps its a hitachi

Quick Reply: need distributor leak help