General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need distributor leak help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I don't think you can replace the inner seal on an F22B1 distributor. If you look at the parts diagram online or ask the dealership parts counter to pull it up, you will see that there is no inner seal shown or listed as a separate item.

I also bought the NOK seal and tried to remove the pin holding the cam onto the shaft, and couldn't budge it. I banged on it pretty hard with a punch, short of bending the shaft. I actually ruined the head on the punch. That distributor shaft pin is pretty hard and appears to be locked in there somehow.

And after further investigation on the seal I purchased, I think it's meant for the F22B2 distributors, for which inner seal replacement is standard and is done from inside the distributor body, not the cam end of the shaft.

My distributor has a very, very slow leak from the inside so I've chosen not to replace the distributor right now. The majority of the original leak was from the O-ring and that part is fixed. I have high mileage oil in the car, and have used Barr's Leak stop once now just prior to an oil change to work on the main seals, which seems to be working and may also be helping the inner distributor seal (assuming there is a rubber seal in there somewhere -- I don't know.)

So, unless you find a way to remove that pin, I suggest you clean up the area around the distributor, replace the O-ring, monitor the oil seepage from the inside of the dist body, switch to high mileage oil if you haven't already, and try pouring in a bottle of leak stop additive a couple weeks before your next oil change.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have some pdf's w/ the procedure. It used to be online, but no longer appears at same URL. PM your email address and I'll forward.

good luck

Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Almost A Senior Member

sent that to you, I took it off and changed the outer o-ring but couldnt get that pin to come out for anything.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Almost A Senior Member

So how about this, when i was taking the distributor out today i found that it only has 2 of the 3 bolts that hold it on!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Almost A Senior Member

How much oil is inside the distributor, vs outside where the O-ring was leaking?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:40 AM
Almost A Senior Member

there is a good bit of build up under the dist but only a little bit inside

Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Missing one bolt shouldn't cause the leakage. The O-ring does the seal against the sides of it's groove, it really doesn't help to have excessive clamping force at the mounting bolts. But scratches inside the O-ring groove can allow it to leak.

If you're worried about the oil INSIDE the distributor, that's the only leakage that will be improved with the internal distributor-shaft seal.

If most of the leakage is outside, try the last camshaft-bearing cap.
- Remove the valve cover
- Last bearing cap forms the top-half of the hole where the distributor mounts.
- Check the inner surface of that hole for scratches where that O-ring rides.
- Honda-Bond (Permatex Ultra-Grey) to seal between that bearing cap & the head.
- - (leak might be throught that split & not past the O-ring???)
- Alignment of that bearing cap is important, but I think there's dowel pins?
- Little bit of Honda-Bond in the corners where the VC gasket goes up & over the cam-cap.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by firefighter44
there is a good bit of build up under the dist but only a little bit inside
Then I think you will be fine with just replacing the O-ring and stopping the external leaking (per JimBlake's suggestions above). I use silicon grease on all my O-rings -- it looks like Vaseline and you can get it at most hardware stores in the kitchen faucets/plumbing section.

As for the internal leak, wipe off the inside of the distributor as best you can, and over time I don't think you'll see much oil leaking from the inside. Once in a while I run a paper towel under the distributor where the cap meets the body, to see how much oil is dripping out ... it usually sees only a drop of oil. This rate you can live with indefinitely.

Again, to date nobody has come up with instructions on how to disassemble the shaft on these distributors ... all instructions I have seen so far are for the F22B2 distributor for which it is relatively easy to replace the inner seal by disassembling through the top of the distributor body For our distributor I fear that our only choice is to buy a rebuilt distributor to fix that inner leak.

These distributors aren't held on tightly, so two out of three mounting bolts shouldn't be an immediate danger ... but I would get a third bolt in there sooner than later just to be safe.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Almost A Senior Member

*** F22B1 DISTRIBUTOR INNER SEAL CAN BE REPLACED !!! ***

I just replaced the inner seal on my F22B1 Hitachi distributor today ... will forward pictures soon. Here is the seal you have to get:

honda distributor shaft seal for F22B1, F23A1, and F23A4. - $6.50 : Reds Auto Rehab, solutions for common automotive problems.

Quote from the web page:

"This a replacement distributor shaft seal for most Honda distributors which do not use the BH3888E seal. This seal fits the F22B1 engine with the Hitachi distributor #D4T92-04! This seal fits the F23A1, F23A4, OR F23A7 engines with the Hitachi distributor #D4T97-03. This seal also fits the Hitachi distributor #D4T94-04. This seal is Kok #3286. The seal dimensions are: 12.45mm X 22mm X 6mm."

The pin that is holding the cam fitting will come out, but it is pressed in very tight and requires a heavy hammer and a good punch. I used a 2 pound sledge and was able to get it out within a dozen or so very solid and carefully placed strikes. Once the pin is out, the cam fitting comes off, two screws on the inside of the distributor body and the shaft will tap out lightly with the inside bearing attached to it. Under the bearing is the seal.

Last edited by jkowtko; 06-17-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Quick Reply: need distributor leak help