General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need distributor leak help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
That is weird the EX has a F22B2 motor. A quick way to tell the difference between the TEC and Hitachi is that the TEC has five spark plug wires coming out of the cap (one goes to the coil). The Hitachi has four spark plug wires coming off the cap (the coil is under the dist. cap).
I am from canada, they have different model.
and you are right the tec had 5 wires .

thx

Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 PM

Hi,

So I plan to fix the oil leak in my distributor by changing the Oring and the shaft seal.

Since I will receive the shaft seal from jkowtko next week, I plan to change first the O-ring and hopefully it will fix the main leak since oil is burning and it smells in the car.

When I will recieive jkowtko's shaft seal, I will remove the distributor again to change the internal shaft seal.

My question is : is it a good thing for the newly installed O-ring that I remove again the distributor ? Will I weaking the new oring by removing the distributor again ??

Thanks

Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

An o-ring doesn't wear like a crush washer. An o-ring seals by having a slight force on it.

An o-ring will fail in two main ways. It will get brittle over time. Or you will tear it when installing.

So when you install an o-ring, lubricate it with some oil and slide the distributor straight into the cylinder head.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
An o-ring doesn't wear like a crush washer. An o-ring seals by having a slight force on it.

An o-ring will fail in two main ways. It will get brittle over time. Or you will tear it when installing.

So when you install an o-ring, lubricate it with some oil and slide the distributor straight into the cylinder head.

Hi,

So I changed the distributor O-ring without problem, I lubricate as PAHonda mendtionned.

As for the internal shaft seal, I dont think it is leaking since the inside of the distributor cap has no oil in it.

But with the seal I bought from jkowtko , I will be able to replace it quickly since I will have it on hand !!

For a first work on my old car, I am happy (yes it is easy for the expert but for my first time, it is not obvious )!

Thanks again for the information !