General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! 2004 Accord Overheat issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:06 AM
Default Need Help! 2004 Accord Overheat issue.

Hey guys,
I bought a used Honda accord with 190,000 Kms on it. Its been a month and everything was going good until 10 days ago one of my radiator fan ( which is not supposed to turn on with AC ) stopped working and car started overheating. I went to the mechanic and he told to change the Fan Motor. I changed the fan motor and everything was back to normal, Until yesterday, my car started over heating again. I checked that same fan and it wasn't on. I turned on the AC and both of the fans Came on. Since i was on Expressway and had to get to the city somehow, I turned my AC on the way and it didn't overheat. I also checked my thermostat by checking the two hoses connected to radiator, Upper hose is hot and lower hose is cold. I dont why one of the radiatior fan is not turning on when car is getting hot.

If someone who faced the same problem and got it fixed, Please help me out too. I want to know the problem myself before i go to any repair shop.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Both fans should turn on when you turn on the a/c. The term radiator fan and a/c fan are misleading.

I'll look at a wiring diagram to see why one fan will not turn on when i get home. Is your 04 a 4-cylinder or V6? Is the passenger or driver side fan not working?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

On the bottom of the radiator there is a sensor with 2 wires running to the connector. That is the radiator fan switch. Make sure that is still plugged in and the wires are not damaged. It will have a green and a black wire going to it.

If you have a volt meter, unplug and test the wires at that connector. The green wire should have 12V and the black wire should have continuity to ground. Alternatively, you can use a piece of wire or a thin paperclip to short the connector. If you short the connector then start the vehicle, both fans should turn on immediately.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Both fans should turn on when you turn on the a/c. The term radiator fan and a/c fan are misleading.

I'll look at a wiring diagram to see why one fan will not turn on when i get home. Is your 04 a 4-cylinder or V6? Is the passenger or driver side fan not working?
My car is 04 4 cylinder 2.4Ltr.

I know both fans should turn on with AC but one fan on the driver side ( Left Side If sitting inside the car ) should turn on when the car gets hot, Right?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
On the bottom of the radiator there is a sensor with 2 wires running to the connector. That is the radiator fan switch. Make sure that is still plugged in and the wires are not damaged. It will have a green and a black wire going to it.

If you have a volt meter, unplug and test the wires at that connector. The green wire should have 12V and the black wire should have continuity to ground. Alternatively, you can use a piece of wire or a thin paperclip to short the connector. If you short the connector then start the vehicle, both fans should turn on immediately.
Ill check it today and get some pictures to post it here as well. I think my previous fan motor was fine, the mechanic mislead me. The problem might be the sensor or wire as you said.

Thank you for your Help brother.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

know both fans should turn on with AC but one fan on the driver side ( Left Side If sitting inside the car ) should turn on when the car gets hot, Right?
No. Both fans turn on when the car gets hot. Both fans turn on when the a/c is turned on.