General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheat issue after replacing thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:35 AM
MaxPower
Unregistered
Default Overheat issue after replacing thermostat

I currently have a 1992 Accord LX. I was getting overheating issues when the car was in idle. I changed the thermostat and flushed the coolant. I thought this resolved the issue, but the other day I was stuck in traffic and the same thing occured after about 4-5 mins while idleing. Anyone know what else it could be?? It getting aggrivating considering I use this car to get to and back from work everyday. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Overheat issue after replacing thermostat

I would think about changeing the Coolant Temperature Sensor on your Ride...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 09-23-2005, 10:30 PM
MaxPower
Unregistered

Also, do you think it could be the radiator cap as well? Might try replacing it this weekend.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:03 PM

Sounds like if you have an electric fan it's not comming on or comming on late. I'd bypass the sensor to see if the fan works with a good parth to power, if it does then I'd suspect the temp sensor that would trigger it to turn on. If it's overheating after that I couldn't say but I'd turn the car's heater on if the engine starts getting too hot, at least that will help remove some heat untill you can find out the problem and may keep you from damaging the engine if your stuck in traffic too long. I would hope you didn't mess with any shrouding or do changing that would mess with the air flow of the radiator fan as well.
One way to check would be to use some type of thermometer to see how hot the water is and if the fan comes on what is the water temp when it does because they should be rated at a specific temp that will activate the radiator fan switch.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Sometimes it is no more than a faulty radiator cap, try it...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-07-2005, 12:22 AM
erikhaha
Unregistered

Ok, I have the same problem. I just bought a 93 Accord Ex and when I test drove it everything saw ok, but now it overheats after about 10 miles of driving it starts to heat up just under the red. Then after a few min it cools back down a little, then heats back up. The fans work, but I am not sure how or when they should come on.

I heard ppl talking about "swapping out parts" to troubleshoot, but how else do you determine what the EXACT problem is unless you have a lot of experience?

Ant advice from the experienced troubleshooters would be appreciated.

Old 10-09-2005, 05:21 PM
MaxPower
Unregistered

Hey everyone, thanks for all the tips. It actually ended up being the radiator cap. I can't believe I bypassed looking at it in the first place. Oh well, you live you learn.