General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with diagnosis and codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Default Need help with diagnosis and codes

I have a 94 Honda Accord EX 2.2 4cyl that had a head gasket leak and had far too many miles and wear to spend $900 on a real job. I opted for Steel Seal head gasket sealer and I actually think it's working. Prior to doing this, the #2 cylinder was not firing but was getting a spark from the plug wire when I pulled it. It was recommended that I take that spark plug out and disconnect the fuel injector connection to that cylinder while running the sealer through the system at idle, which I did. I let the stuff cure overnight, got up in the morning and reconnected the injector plug, and went out for a test.

First of all, the car started up very well compared to how badly it was before so I was immediately encouraged. It felt like it had more power and wasn't stuttering. It did still idle a little roughly though. Went to a couple places and at some point, I felt a little hesitation/jerk. Eventually, the car started running a little jerky with less power at times. The speedometer was erratic and then the D4 light started flashing.

The D4 light was not new to me, it had done this on and off over the past couple years but just every once and a while and it would always go away - I had been told it was just the VSS(speed control sensor). I pulled the codes and got a 16(fuel injector)... also the D4 light would flash four times.

I took the car out for a spin just before I wrote this post and it drove fine for the first 10 minutes but had a rough idle as it always does. While at idle at a light, the speedometer once again was jumping and the idle would become a little rougher for a few seconds. I only noticed slight hesitations sometimes on the way home. If it is injectors, could it have something to do with unplugging the connector and why would it not run bad the whole time? Any advice and diagnosis on what my issues are are appreciated.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Code 16 is a fault in the FI electrical circuit. It could be a bad injector, wiring, connector, resistor bank, etc. Download shop manual and use fault diagnostic tree to check and isolate FI fault. Start at FI and check for voltage signal w/ VOM. Voltage should spike on/off/on/off as injector is grounded by ECU. If nothing, then look for fault in connector, wiring, etc.

This fault would account for missing (FI not firing).

TCU Code 4 is VSS circuit fault; sensor, connector, or wiring.

good luck