General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating/No Blowing Heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Default Overheating/No Blowing Heat

This is my girlfriend's car and we've yet to have a problem until yesterday. Brief specs are in the signature, but the main issues so far are the car hits that red line on the temp within a mile, and when I turn on the heat, I get cold air. There was a leak yesterday, but I replaced the heater house and at least the spraying leak stopped. The fan doesn't turn unless the A/C is on, regardless of engine heat, and if i turn off the car, the fan stops. There is no maintenance light, just a lot of cold air and overheating. Any ideas?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap to check and see if coolant is all the way to the top. If not, top off the radiator and check the level periodically.

The other alternative is to get a loaner tool from a parts store to pressure test the radiator and the cap. Both should hold about 15 psi.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Well First things is First ..... Why arnt the fans turning on, Figure out that problem and then check to see if your properly purged the cooling system.... not such a problem with honda but possible. when you broke the cooling system open and sealed it back up it is possible that you trapped an air pocket into the cooling system preventing coolant to move around thru cooling system.... this would cause cold air and overheating.. if you do not have a purge funnel i would suggest popping the cap off and letting the vehicle run ... also turn your heat on full blast while you do this and check for bubbles coming out of radiator.... once the majority of the bubbles (air) is purged from cooling system you should have hot air. and your overheating problems should vanish. Huge problem with chrysler like i said not to much with honda but possible

Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

matt-----Honda has a simple bleed bolt to purge the air(most gens). And yes, Honda's do not like trapped air.....all kinds of things (jumping idle, overheating, bad temp readings, ect).

MONTROSS- as both PA and matt talked to. Check the coolant level, set the heat to max (have auto hvac?) bleed the air.