General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with my '01 Honda, please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I would try the bedding-in process again. It may or may not work, but it's free.

If it doesn't work, then resurface the rotors but you don't need new pads again. You might get away with removing the rotors and scuffing them up with coarse scotchbrite or emory paper. Just be careful to do that uniformly around the surface of the rotor. Then do the bedding-in again.

The important thing about the bedding-in process is that you don't completely stop with the brakes clamped. So you should find a traffic situation where you aren't forced to completely stop.
Thank you!! I will try that and hope that works.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM

***Another update 08/21/2013, and I would like some advice, please!!***

There were several issues with the car and as of right now, I believe that most have been resolved.

First, I resolved the front wheel shuddering by having the front rotors resurfaced. I followed the bedding-in process to a "T" and as of now it brakes as smoothly as can be (Thank you for the link, Mr. JimBlake!).

Now the lighting issue. I took the Honda to another mechanic shop and they traced the issue to the headlight/tail light relay. They replaced the aforementioned relay and I was happy as can be. Lo and behold, I get home and I hear that dreaded chime again and the lights were back on. I immediately took the car back to the shop and let them know that the car was NOT fixed as they had told me.

(***Bear with me as I explain what happened and the response I received from the owner and manager of this shop. The response that they gave me is where I would like to receive some feedback from you guys/gals.***)

Anyhow, they apologized and took the car in for further inspection. They later called me and stated that they had found the problem and what caused the lights to comeback on. They stated that the car's radio had a short and was shorting out the headlight/tail light relay. They further stated that Honda, for whatever reason, designed it this way to where headlight wiring runs through the radio and/or some circuit board in the radio (<-- This is where I would like some advice. Is this true or are they blowing smoke up my @$$?). They said that once I replace the radio with either an aftermarket one or stock one, it will no longer be shorting out the tail light relay. So that is where I am at right now with this issue. Now I turn to this Honda Forum to seek some advice since there appears to be some very knowledgeable people on here. Could this very well be true?

I have one last issue that I would like some help with. The SRS light turned on and would like some advice. Is this something only a Honda dealer can help me with or is this something that I can take elsewhere. I was reading up on this issue and some sites have stated that it has to do with the seat belt, and that as long as the seat belt is not damaged, it should be covered by a lifetime warranty. Is this correct?

Again, thanks for any advice/suggestions you all may provide.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

From the wiring diagram, the wiring does not go through the stereo.

If you can do two basic readings using a volt meter, you should be able to narrow down the problem. Can you use your volt meter to read the voltage of your battery? Can you use the volt meter to read the resistance when the meter leads are not touching (infinite resistance)? Then read the resistance when the volt meter leads touch (~zero resistance).

Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

As for the SRS, I'd be willing to bet the drivers latch is the issue.

Many have been able to clean it with stuff like wd40 and get it working again.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:42 PM

Okay, fellas, I believe all the issues have been resolved. The parking lights no longer stay on, and I do believe it was the radio that was causing the issue.

I had noticed a while back that the radio had a short of some sort because whenever I hit a bump in the road it would not play. This would occur whether I was listening to the stereo or cd player. I would have to lightly tap it to get it playing again. Also, if I was driving and the stereo was off, I could sometimes hear the speakers humming. Anyhow, the last shop I took it to didn't connect the stereo, and the lights no longer stay on.

Thanks for all of your help!!