General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help with used Honda

Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Talking Need help with used Honda

I removed this from the wrong area sorry new to this.

I have a 95 Honda Accord 2.2L manual transmission
The problem is..........instrument cluster, the speedometer section to be exact, i had pulled it out cleaned it and found that the soldering was melted into one spot on the section where the plug is at so i cleaned it up and YEAH it started to work for 2 days then it stopped so i looked up everywhere on line talking to people and every option for 3 days now (Might i add only spent 800 in the car) 143,000 miles (i hope cause who knows how long it has or has not worked)

So my question is being that the instrument cluster works off of the 4 screws that send electricity into the speed cluster(speedometer/odometer) would i be able to put in a digital speedometer in the place of that and if so would it instal the same way as the original i have pictures and a haynes repair manual to work this project

I have installed a new speed sensor for good measure im using pictures i found my cam is broke for taking pictures of my own.

Would i use the sending unit in place of the speed sensor for the "new" digital speedometer to plug into or would the digital speedometer "fit" into the same place as the original "old" speedometer, this would be the cheapest way to go to fix this issue because we all know how much it would cost if i have Honda fix it i have cash put away for this but bot all of it needs to go to just this any and all help will be appreciated on this i am basing these questions off of the parts of INTELLITRONIX SENDING UNITS and INTELLITRONIX LED DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER i hope this all helps

Attached Thumbnails Need help with used Honda-car-shit-2.jpg   Need help with used Honda-car-shit-3.jpg   Need help with used Honda-car-shit.jpg   Need help with used Honda-car-shit-4.jpg   Need help with used Honda-car-shit-5.jpg  

Last edited by 1stHonda; 07-26-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Was the solder messed up on the main board for the instrument cluster, or was it messed up on the smaller circuit board for the speedometer?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:25 AM

On the main board, where the green plug connects on the 6 solder points i think its 6, also to add before i pulled it the dreaded MPH was jumping from 15 to 25 then stuck at 20MPH im pissed cause it worked then nothing i think the heat got to it.

Last edited by 1stHonda; 07-26-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Supper Moderator

why not just go to the junk yard or pick n pull and snag one? Much cheaper and I know the pick n pulls give you a warranty so if you pull a bad part you get so many days to exchange it for another one.
The only way I have seen ppl go digital is with a engine management system. ..and it’s not really what you think. Your original gauge cluster stays and you have a digital read out that gives you speed and RPMS all in numbers. Mainly for tuning since that what the EMS is designed for.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM

I would love to but the place that is near me, they dont have a instrument cluster for "any" 5 gen honda accords 94-97, yeah i was shocked when i heard this, so i might have to go the ebay route put my really really sad face here.........................just called 7 junk yards and they are all out of them this is crazy

Last edited by 1stHonda; 07-26-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Go to the car-part.com. You can search for instrument clusters for your car by price or by distance. Price + shipping may be less expensive than ebay.

You may also find people parting out there cars in the classified section on here, or on other forums. Craigslist may be another option.

EDIT: Make sure you get a cluster from a 94-97 manual transmission accord.