General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ideas, 96 accord won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Default Need ideas, 96 accord won't start

I have a 96 Honda accord 4 cycl and I've been having 2 issues:

1. When I drive it, it will randomly shut off.
2. With a hot cabin (and sometimes a cool one), the car will crank but will not start at all.

I've done some research and I've tried several solutions that haven't worked. I have already tried:
1. Replaced the main relay with a brand new one.
2. Replaced the ignition switch with a brand new one.
3. I had the distributor checked by 2 different mechanics, they said it was ok. It was replaced about 4 years ago.
4. Had the ECU/computer checked, mechanic said it was ok.
5. Replaced the battery
6. Replaced the alternator
7. Mechanic said fuel pressure was ok.

It's definitely a bigger problem when the cabin is hot. It starts better in the winter. I thought a new main relay would fix it, but noooope.

The check engine code is present, it indicates a problem with the 02 sensor/catalytic converter. Mechanics have told me it's not related.

So if anyone has some ideas, I would greatly appreciate it if you would throw some out, thanks!

Last edited by wintericelab; 03-16-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You don't know if fuel supply or ignition is the problem.

Suggest injecting 5-10 secs of throttle body cleaner into air intake duct and attempting to start (when no start condition is present).

If no start w/ throttle body cleaner, the spark is likely missing as it should run briefly w/ this fluid. This would suggest coil or ignitor problem w/ distributor.

If it starts/runs briefly, then fuel supply is the problem; main fuel relay, fuel pump, injector power supply, etc.

I had an intermittent fuel pump on my 94EX that I finally confirmed using a indicator light rigged to fuel pump power supply. When no start occurred and bulb was illluminated, I knew fuel pump was bad. I also discovered that "hammering" the fuel pump w/ repeated on/off/on/... cycles would eventually kick the pump on (heard the fuel pump).

good luck

Old 03-16-2014, 06:57 PM

You say your car randomly shuts off. Is it more when you are driving or at idle?

I'm currently tracking a problem in my car that started off dieing at idle which has progressed into dieing while driving.

Has your car ever died in the past randomly?

Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hondahonda
You say your car randomly shuts off. Is it more when you are driving or at idle?

I'm currently tracking a problem in my car that started off dieing at idle which has progressed into dieing while driving.

Has your car ever died in the past randomly?
It can happen at idle or while driving, but happens more often when driving. A few years ago my car had a similar problem of randomly dying, it turned out to be the distributor and I replaced it and it worked great for a few years. If you having a similar problem, the first thing I would check would be the distributor (igniter) and main relay. I think I have ruled out those two though. I was hoping it was the main relay, but it's definitely not the main relay.

Texashonda, thanks for the reply. I suspected an intermittent fuel pump problem, but the problem occurs definitely more when it's hot and the cabin is hot. If it were the fuel pump, that wouldn't matter right?

Isn't there a mechanism in the cabin of the car that will prevent it from starting if it's in the wrong gear or not properly parked or the brakes. Is it possible it's shorting out?

Interestingly enough, I tried starting it a few minutes ago and the cabin was hot, then I started pumping the brakes and it started. Coincidence?

Last edited by wintericelab; 03-16-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have an alram system on this car?

As TX sated, need to spray some fluid (carb cleaner, ect) when it is acting up to confirm lack of fuel.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Your check engine light is on, so I'd stop by a parts store and have them scan for codes. They usually do this as a free service. Your obd2 connector is behind the ash tray. Get all the code(s) and post them on here. They start with the letter p and have four numbers, like P1234.

When the car will not start when it is hot outside, get into this practice. Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for about two seconds, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds too. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound, so turn off the radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully. When the car will not start, let us know if the fuel pump primed the engine.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you want to narrow down the issue to be able to address the issue; you first need to determine fuel or spark loss. A loss of spark will give no warning just as if you turned off the ignition switch with the key. A fuel issue will give you an indication of some type before dying out.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:34 AM

No alarm system on the car, just a regular key.

The check engine light indicates an issue with the 02 sensor or catalytic converter.

It's cooled off, so I have wait a bit for it to get hotter before it won't start again.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

My experience w/ fuel pump did not suggest any particular weather condition. It would stop sometimes when driving and other times refuse to start in cold condition. As I said, I had to rig a "tell-tale" light to the fuel pump power lead to confirm that power was available and pump was not running.

good luck

Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 AM

the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds too. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound, so turn off the radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully. When the car will not start, let us know if the fuel pump primed the engine.