General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need motor help (noob-age)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Default need motor help (noob-age)

whats up guys, i gotta 97 se in auto i recently bought and it was someones project. the cars in great shape n all but ive come into what i think is a slight problem.

the kid before me had an issue w the stock motor and he swapped it for what i think is a 94-95 (obd1) motor ( it has the black vc). its to my understanding the 96+ are obd2. id really hate to get rid of the motor due to the mileage on it (80-85k) but thats why im posting. will that motor work ok and pass emissions if i keep it? or will i have to get an obd2 motor?
im currently in the works to swapping it to standard also. so i have a 96 ecu/harness (for vtec) and manual tranny so far. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks alot people.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Can you give us the motor number stamped on the engine? It should be to the passenger side of the front motor mount near the transmission.

What does the valve cover say?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 PM

im gonna have to get the engine code tomorrow am. unfortunately the cars at my boys house. obviously its f22, but i forget what the rest was lol. i have the paperwork for the motor, the kid got it from a junkyard but that only has the vin.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

The two stock engines for the 94-97 4-cylinder accords are the f22b1 and the f22b2.

When you said black valve cover, I immediately thought that you may have a DOHC engine (H22 engine).

Anyway, I think the SE has the F22B2 engine that is the non-vtec engine. The valve cover should say 16-Valve...

The 94/95 OBD1 and the 96/97 OBD2 engines are pretty much identical. The only difference is the location of some sensors. Other than that, those engines are pretty much identical.

The difference is that one (or two?) of the sensors that was in the 95 distributor was moved to the crank shaft under the timing belt cover. The person who did the swap hopefully transferred the sensor onto the 95 engine.

85K miles is pretty low mileage for an accord engine. They can last 250K+ miles with proper care.

Is the check engine light turning on while driving? If not, then the sensors are wired properly.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Read the engine type, like F22B1 or whatever. Then give us the first digit of the block serial # stamped below that. First digit can tell us the model-year of the engine.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 PM

the car is not running or anything, nor is it hooked up so i wouldnt be able to tell if there are any lights on...yet lol. i found out the engine code, its a f22b1. looking at the paper work i have for it (from the junk yard) the motors from a 94, well, based on the vin of the car the motor came out of that is. can i make this motor work and can it be obd compliant? what would i have to do? as i mentioned before i have a 96 vtec harness and ecu.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

It may already be OBD2 compliant. All that was needed is the 96 distributor and the oil pump housing with the sensors that go under the timing belt cover. That is the only difference. See if there are any pins on the distributor that have nothing plugged in. The modification of the cars wiring harness would be obvious if the 94 distributor was used.

See if there is an electrical connection coming out of the timing belt cover towards the firewall of the engine bay and see if it is plugged into the cars wiring harness.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
It may already be OBD2 compliant. All that was needed is the 96 distributor and the oil pump housing with the sensors that go under the timing belt cover. That is the only difference. See if there are any pins on the distributor that have nothing plugged in. The modification of the cars wiring harness would be obvious if the 94 distributor was used.

See if there is an electrical connection coming out of the timing belt cover towards the firewall of the engine bay and see if it is plugged into the cars wiring harness.
ok cool, ill have to check that out sunday, please "stay tuned" lol i appreciate all the help guys!!! please bare with me cause my cars in another town

Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a 97 oil pump; #17 is the TDC sensor & it's wire. Make sure you have that. The actual sensors are inside the lower timing cover, so you can only see the wiring pigtail & plug.

You also need the gears behind that. The sprockets for 95 & earlier are #15, 18, & 19. You need #16 & 17 instead to go with that TDC sensor. That means you'll have to remove the dreaded crankshaft pulley & the lower timing cover.