General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need to replace oil seals with timing and water pump replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default need to replace oil seals with timing and water pump replacement??

94 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder 5 speed manual non vtec has air conditioning

I recently discovered an antifreeze leak from the weep hole of the water pump in this Honda Accord

Now I am looking at getting the water pump and all the belts including timing belt replaced called repair shop they said $800

Same repair shop I called mentioned problem could be balancer shaft problem that would be an additional repair to replacing the water pump and all the belts totaling $1100-1200

I looked up this information told to me by repair shop, and it seems he is wrong. If balancer shaft problem would be an oil leak not an antifreeze leak.

I did learn in my research about a common Honda Accord problem missing balance shaft retainer causing balance shaft seal to pop out cause big oil leak. I also learned about several oil seals in this area of the engine (crankshaft seal, camshaft seal, front balance seal and retainer, and oil pump gasket also called rear balance shaft seal)

Seems like all these seals relatively easy to replace when doing a timing belt replacement

My question is there a real need to do these oil seal replacements and are they typically done with timing belt and water pump replacement??

If needed and not done typically with timing belt replacement how much more should cost to have this done?

Old 08-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Price is tricky to estimate. Most people on here are DIY guys. The balance shaft seal retainer should definitely be installed. The cost per seal should be not much more than the cost of the parts on the timing belt job, maybe 1 more hour of labor.

TexasHonda always says not to replace a seal unless it is leaking.

I know this is vague, but I hope it helps.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The oring seal beneath the rear balance shaft cover/drive should be replaced. It's a 5 min job to replace.

The forward camshaft, crankshaft, and camshaft seals should be inspected and only replaced if leaking.

Suggest getting quotes for work at other shops. $1100-1200 sounds a bit on high side for timing belt, balance shaft belt, and water pump. Tensioner should be replaced as well. Labor should be no more than 6-8 hrs. You can buy a parts kit for < $100 on ebay.

good luck