General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy with a BIG PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Default new guy with a BIG PROBLEM

Oh boy where do i start? Ok i have a 91 accord lx with 120,000 miles, never had any major problems until no. I bought the car back in 02 it 64,000 on it. I use it as a daily driver the car has been gr8 2 me until last monday. I drove in to work (Nissan dealer) something kept draining my batt so a tech told me to use a test light hook it up to the neg batt cable and then pull fuses out 1 by 1 until the light didnt come on anymore. Ok i did that still couldnt find the draw but after that all Hell broke loose.
1st the car wouldnt start then when it did all the lights were dimm, he tested the alt at first it said there was a prob with the charging sys then we did it again and it said it was fine. Put a meter on the batt(car running) it was reading 13 volts with no load , when we put a load on it headlights and ac the car shut down. So the tech concludes it the alt. I buy the alt put it in and still the same prob, wtf? The car was still able 2 start but then something strange happened the accelerator cable started smoking, yes smoking burning up until the car was shut off then the pedal seized up now i need a cable but cant put it in until i find out what caused it to heatup so i put a meter on it while the car is on it reads 12+ volts when it off it reads 2.52 constant what the hell is this all about?

Now today cause this has been an all week ordeal the car wont start none of the electronics work, nothing, no horn no radio no lights ac brake lights power locks nothing at all. The starter will turn just wont start. I took the fuel line off the rail 2 see if fuel would come out when i tried 2 start and nothing. So 1st i thought fuel pump is another prob im facing but then i figured it cant be casue nothing else electrical is working. Im lost i dont know what else 2 do or where 2 even start looking, i have 2 get this figured out soon please help. The tech cant really focus the time it needs cause he's at WORK working so he messes around with it here and there when he can and thats cool but i need my car back soon. I hope i provided enough info if not let me know what else you need to know thnaks

Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

From your post, I am thinking you have ground problems and that is why the cable burned up as that became a ground for the engine. I would inspect for missing and Corroded grounds. That seems to fit all of the problems.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:58 PM

thanks for the reply thats exactly what it was hard to believe 1 wire was the cause of all the problems thanks again.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Glad to hear you sorted it out and I appreciate your follow up. It helps people learn if you have the problem and solution, not everyone follows up.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Glad it worked out.

Can you tell us which wire was causing your problem? It may help some else who is having strange electrical problems with their accord.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Its kinda crazy bcuz i added a ground wire from the body to the battery (4gauge) to help with the dimming problem i was having from my system and that was the wire that i didnt connect back after i changed my battery so when i put that back on everything started working. Now that has to indicate that there is still a ground problem somewhere else but i cant figure that 1 out and since my car is now running im gonna just leave it alone.