General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy with an odd fuel guage/tank problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:55 PM
dwarez
Unregistered
Default New guy with an odd fuel guage/tank problem

I'm new to the forum - and to the Accords. A couple weeks ago i picked up a 98 coupe v6 automatic w/ a new transmission. The issue i'm having is that the gas guage won't go to full after filling the tank. After a fill up, the tank only read 3/4 full and it only takes about 14 gallons - and this was with the gas light on.
I kept track of the mileage and i only got 250 miles before the gas light came on again. Which kinda makes some sense - it's mostly all city driving and that worked about to be about 17 miles to the gallon with the V6.
I was wondering if anyone has had this issue before?
Also, I did a search and saw that it might be possible to access the fuel tank sending unit from inside the car under the back seats - is this true??

Thank you for any help in advanced

Old 10-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: New guy with an odd fuel guage/tank problem

ORIGINAL: dwarez

Also, I did a search and saw that it might be possible to access the fuel tank sending unit from inside the car under the back seats - is this true??
Right, there is an access hole right behind the back seat. Sounds like you have a bad sending unit.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
dwarez
Unregistered

Thanks for the response. I'll start researching how to swap out that sending unit.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:51 PM

If I am not mistaken the cover is actually in the trunk on the coupe. you have to remove the spare tire cover and then you will see it...............

Old 10-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Or maybe remove the trunk floor carpeting. I bet it's in that area between the spare-tire-well & the seatback. When you open that cover, you'll see the gas tank, with ANOTHER cover which opens into the tank itself where you can remove the fuel pump & gauge sender.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:13 AM
whiteaccord94
Unregistered

Hey man...when I bought my 94 Accord I had a similar problem, it might not be the fuel sending unit...I can't be sure based upon the year of yours, but where Im from u usually go through a gastank/sending unit every 8-10 years. Well I replaced the gas tank and sending unit. Yet I still had the problem, I come to find out that there is a floater, kind of like one you would find in a toilet, and well if thats broke/ or stuck that could be your problem, it won't read right, you wont know if its full or empty depending on where the needle is stuck. Now if it is a digital reader, I don't really no wut is involved with that. If u bring ur car somewhere to get the sending unit replaced, you might as well get a new tank, and a new float, you'll save money,

Hope that helped

Old 10-11-2006, 02:26 AM

there is a bulletin.......98-056.. april -20 -1999....you need to replace the fuel gauge sending unit ,, with an inproved one.. call Honda they might help you out,, but unfortunatelly they are saying the normal warranty applies , but call them anyways and CALMLY express your feelings how unhapppy you are , especially since they have had problems with them

the new part # is ..17630-s84-305..
good luck ..

Old 10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
dwarez
Unregistered

that's good to know there is a bulletin out about the sending unit - i read an article yesterday where a guy had to replace his fuel sending unit twice within 100K miles on a 98 V6. It's good to have the part number too - i've tried finding one on the web without much luck (honestly i haven't been searching too long either). My last resort is the stealership - hopefully having that part number will keep me away from there - hopefully.
Thanks.