General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new ignition/ now programming keys =trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:31 PM
Default new ignition/ now programming keys =trouble

MY question is = can they erase the memory of key programming???
I tried to fix the ignition lock tumbler, = stress- drilled into the roll pin pulled it out pulled the tumbler mechanizium- could not get to it, walked a mile to locksmith, $$ he wanted $75 to do an easy fix, that I watched a dude do on Utube..,,And it would still be the same old almost 200,000 miles on the ignition switch...(common problem= switch goes out))--
SOOooo I walk to the Orilleys parts store, and order a new unit, pay for it, And walk home.,,get stoned...eat...drink. pomegranate lemonade ...Walk back to O'rilley's...get the Ignition/lock ***....

R&R the Ignition lock. Tow it to local stealership...*$80.oo later,,I only get ONE key reprogrammed!!!!

The tech see's my after market equipment', and tells himself..It's not me.../// Cause he can only get One key done'..The computer will NOT let him program any more...(he spent time trying ))
So he thought it was '' The New emmobilizer'' ,,, Yet the OLD emobilerizer',,is what's still in there....The new ignition lock comes with only two key.s...Yet now I got only one that works.

Good news is I'm not walking anymore,,,,the bad news is now I tell my wife she only has one key...

Locksmith says'..If the honda dealer can't do it....neither can I...

SOoo...MY question is = can they erase the memory of key programming???

Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

The information on your car would help, but they should be able to program more than one key.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:32 AM

Ok the car is 1998 honda accord EX, 4 cylinder, automatic trans.,,,

Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Someday74
Ok the car is 1998 honda accord EX, 4 cylinder, automatic trans.,,,
Yes, Honda should be able to program more than 1 key for it. We have 2 programed keys for my wife's 2000 Accord. They did however cut the key to the VIN, which might not work for you since you replaced the lock assembly. But, they should be able to program a new key from it, since you're still using the original immobilizer circuit. If you still have the original key, you could tape it to the new key and it should start (according to the FSM). We also have a valet key for our car, but all it does is work the door locks, since it doesn't have a chip in it.