General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbe needing help??????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Default Newbe needing help??????????

Ok i really hope i make this sound ok lol so u can understand me I have a 1991 Honda Accord LX 4door Sedan

Ok first i know i need a motor mount ...but it will start up and drive when u drive it a mile or to it starts jumoing like im pumping the clutch.
I pulled over then it bogged down (it only died twice) started back up but it will sit there like its struggling for gas kinda like if u let off the clutch and it shakes searching for gas but i let it sit there (after getting harrassed by the cops i guess for being broke down) then it acted normal and i drove it home like 10 miles from were i was to home ...these are what people told me it is (but i need ur opinions from Accord fans like myself i finally could get one and wanna keep it and fix it up

Main Coil
TPS Sensor
Coil
Ignition Coil
Ignitor Module
and something to do with the Gas

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Last edited by Superman79; 07-05-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

You should diagnose the problem before changing out parts.

Lets start with the simple stuff first.

Does the check engine light turn on while driving? Does the D4 light start flashing? (you didn't say if you have an automatic or manual transmission).

On the top of the gen tech help forum, there is a Common DIY Index. Look at the procedure for checking engine codes.

The next thing I would do is a tuneup if you are overdue. That would include spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor. The plugs you should use are NGK ZFR5F-11 that you can get at most parts stores for ~$2 each. The cap and rotor will be around $35 from the dealership. Check the air filter too.

You can also spray a light mist of water on the plug wires to see if you see spark arching. You can probably use windex to do this too. Do this at night, because it will be easier to see.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Its a straight shift

and no the check engine light does not come on driving

yes thats why i came here lol Really short on cash and wanted to try any find out what it was (well try to) before i changed anything

Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

It won't hurt to check those codes. Plus you will know how to do that in the future.

I would do the tuneup and inspections I put in my first post. Worn out maintenance items can make diagnosing the problem more difficult.

Can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key while the engine is running?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:44 PM

Na it doesnt stall out but shaking the keys

what codes should i be checking my check engine light isnt on

Old 07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

If no codes pop up, then those sensors you listed are likely ok.

If a code pops up, you can troubleshoot for that specific code. All you need to do this is a thin paperclip to short that connector.