General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question: Can someone identify the missing part...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 11:27 AM
Default Newbie question: Can someone identify the missing part...

... on this Accord 2000, 4 door, 3.0L V6? Part of the lower windshield assembly. I suspect its absence is causing a leak, driver side, in the cabin. Attached is photo with missing part area highlighted in yellow.

Many thanks in advance for everyone's assistance.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Scott.McKenzie.Lewis
... on this Accord 2000, 4 door, 3.0L V6? Part of the lower windshield assembly. I suspect its absence is causing a leak, driver side, in the cabin. Attached is photo with missing part area highlighted in yellow.

Many thanks in advance for everyone's assistance.
It gets a plastic push pin found at most FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts store).

Old 11-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Default Thanks, Bob! Would you (or anyone else) happen to know the dimensions...

... of said push pin? The diameter that goes into the smaller hole appears to be either 7/16" or 1/2". Many thanks again!

Last edited by Scott.McKenzie.Lewis; 11-13-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:39 PM
Default Would the more accurate term for is needed called a windshield cowl pushpin...

Would still appreciate anyone providing information on specific part number or dimensions.

: A cursory look in Amazon shows these as promising albeit more pricier than I thought:
Link Link

Old 11-14-2020, 01:18 PM

... of said push pin? The diameter that goes into the smaller hole appears to be either 7/16" or 1/2". Many thanks again!
I believe it's a standard small push pin. I don't know the size, as I just pulled 1 from a bag to plug the hole on my wife's car (2000 Accord). I think the hole under what you're seeing is 1/4 inch or 6mm, as the ribs on the push pin have to have something to grab onto. I'd send you one, but it'll cost more to mail it than it's worth. The head of the pin is 11/16ths, the length of the pin is 5/8th to tip, and the outside of the ribs is 1/4 inch. Sorry the measurements are all in English, but I just grabbed the closest tape measure I could find to measure the pin. I hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:07 PM
Default So the official, official name of this part is the Windshield Cowl Push "Rivet"...

Went to three autostores (Advanced, Autozone, Oreilly's) and none of them had them instore or instock in their warehouses. A helpful gentlemen at one of the said stores stated that they are hard to come by in his experience. He suggested that I go to a "pick-a-part" (aka salvage) operation less than a block from his store and attempt to retrieve one from a vehicle there. It turned out to be good advice. Went there and for a grand total of $3 was able to pull 6 of these rivets from the salvaged Hondas (they even provided me with the flathead screwdriver to pluck them out). Hope this helps in case anyone else needs this part.

Last edited by Scott.McKenzie.Lewis; 11-15-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:35 AM

Went to three autostores (Advanced, Autozone, Oreilly's) and none of them had them instore or instock in their warehouses. A helpful gentlemen at one of the said stores stated that they are hard to come by in his experience. He suggested that I go to a "pick-a-part" (aka salvage) operation less than a block from his store and attempt to retrieve one from a vehicle there. It turned out to be good advice. Went there and for a grand total of $3 was able to pull 6 of these rivets from the salvaged Hondas (they even provided me with the flathead screwdriver to pluck them out). Hope this helps in case anyone else needs this part.
I'm glad you were able to find some clips, even if they weren't new. Honda uses them (that pin clip) in various places in the car as well, so having a few extras is a good thing.
You'd think with all of the different Hondas on the roads, the auto parts stores would have these in stock (help rack?).