General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night lights out after subs and amplifier install....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Exclamation Night lights out after subs and amplifier install....?

Hello! To those who read and reply to this:

I have currently have a 99 Honda Accord EX 2.3L. I recently installed a full audio system into the car after noticing the old speakers stated have a cracking/ripping noise coming from them (blown speakers). The only thing I didn't install at the time was an amp for the speakers, the 2 12" subs and the amp for the subs. I also did install a new deck at the same time as the speakers. Everything worked great up until I got some help installing the amp for the speakers that were currently in the car the subs w/amp. My friend said the amp for the speakers was already blown prior to the hook up but said it wasn't necessary since my speakers were already working so that was left. Next we hooked up the amp with the subs using the existing wires the previous owner had left for his subs and amp. The only thing I added was a missing fuse from the battery to the wire and a subs wire going from the deck to the amp for the subs to work. After fiddling around with the back of the deck with the subs wire tot he amp to get it to work we managed to get the subs working with the amp along with the rest of the system.

After a few days I got off work to go to my car and pressed the unlock button normally the rear night/brake lights, indicator lights (front and back) would flash twice this time they didn't I thought maybe my remote was acting up again and it didn't work so I got closer and surely enough it didn't work so I didn't think it it much. But then I got in the car and started it followed by turning on the night lights manually since it was around 11:30pm. I noticed that the instrument panel lights weren't working other than the digital odometer and the gear lights on the side of the dash and the symbols that normally come on with the key in the ON position w/o turning the car on. Then I walked out side thinking that something is probably wrong with the lights in the dash and I can manage the drive home that night and look at it the following day long as the outside lights work properly that the cops don't pull me over to give me a ticket. Surprisingly enough my headlights were on the side indicator lights weren't on along with the license plate lights and tail lights. But the indicators do work properly as well as the brake lights when I press the brake pedal.

So to narrow it down whats wrong is as follows:

- Gauge lights for dash not working
- Outside night lights not working besides headlights unless I'm using indicator or stepping on brake pedal

What I have already done so far and has failed:

- checked all the fuses to see what been burnt out and changed 2 of them
- took the subs and amp out and put back in (made no difference)

Any help in this department would be greatly appreciated and a lot thanks in advance for any information leading to resolving this issue. Also this is a daily driver so any help ASAP before getting a ticket or having to take other means of transportation to work would definitely have my gratitude.

I will keep everyone posted as what I did and what worked.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

When you stated you changed 2 fuses, were they blown?

In addition which fuses were these; driver's side interior, passenger side interior, under-hood, fuse number and amps?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 PM

1 Of the #6/10/11 passenger side 10 Amp fuse was blown in addition I changed the 7.5 Amps fuses on both driver's side and passenger's side fuses related to Day time lights, instrument lights, back lights, and tail lights. The 7.5 Amp fuses seemed ok and weren't blown but I changed them anyways just to make sure

Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

So, Fuse No. 10 (10A) in passenger side fuse/relay box was blown? This is a sedan I assume since the fuse is a 10A.

On the passenger side, your EX has a taillight relay (see attached pic.) that the circuit runs through. If you have a multimeter or voltmeter, attach the negative lead to chassis ground, then with the positive lead backprobe the Red/Blk wire at the taillight relay connector to see if there is voltage when the combination light switch is turned on.

Attached Thumbnails Night lights out after subs and amplifier install....?-taillight-relay.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-07-2013 at 07:38 PM.