General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No cooling fans. No a/c. Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default No cooling fans. No a/c. Electrical?

Hey guys. So my 98 accord ex 4cyl hasn't had a/c since I baught it. Now that summer is here is like to address this issue without leaving it at the mechanics for a .minimum of 5 hrs at 60/hr for "electrical diagnoses". When I bought it, there was no belt on the compressor, so I assumed they just had the belt off for added power, and the person who sold me it was unsure of the a/cs functionality or issues. So I put a belt on.. no a/c. Got a pricey recharge, no a/c. On top of that, both of my cooling fans are non functional. All fuses have been checked. RepLAced all relays, including ac clutch relay, compressor fan relay, and cooling fan relays with brand new ones. No ac. No fans. I'm not an electrician, and I see a few people have issues similar to this, but all stories were a little different, with not so definitive answers. Also, my temp gauge on the dash shoots right all the way up after the cars been on (or just the battery) for about 30 secs. Maybe somebody can point me in the right direction or even better has had the same issue and knows how to resolve! Thanks in advance..

Old 06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Edit: also, ac tested receiving no power at all. Pressure is good on the compressor too, also checked for leaks seems good to go. Just no power. The one wire going to the compressor was all split and frayed, so I trimmed each end and now I have it connected with a snapping quick-splice. I would like to replace this wire entirely, but I can't seem to find the part anywhere... No to mention that the wires go to inside the compressor.. grr I wish I knew more about cars! Lol any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks guys

Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Bump for some help :/
Could this be related to my temp gauge just shooting all the way up after power for 30 secs or so (regardless of engine on or not)?
Thanks

Old 06-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

That probably has to do with the temperature sending unit. I would unplug that sensor, then the temperature needle should stay at cold.

Here is post covering the sending unit on a 98

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ghtmare-38464/

Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If I understood your posts, you found no power to the AC compressor. The compressor should have power when AC is commanded On and only part that could interupt is the AC compressor relay (usually on front near radiator). First fix this and see if compressor will engage.

Compressor is engaged by ECU supplying ground to the AC Compressor relay to cause the relay to close and supply power to the compressor which is always grounded.

Note, the ECU may deny ground to the AC compressor relay if the AC pressure switch is open. Check that AC pressure switch contacts are closed (short across switch pins w/ harness connector removed).

good luck

Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If I understood your posts, you found no power to the AC compressor. The compressor should have power when AC is commanded On and only part that could interupt is the AC compressor relay (usually on front near radiator). First fix this and see if compressor will engage.

Compressor is engaged by ECU supplying ground to the AC Compressor relay to cause the relay to close and supply power to the compressor which is always grounded.

Note, the ECU may deny ground to the AC compressor relay if the AC pressure switch is open. Check that AC pressure switch contacts are closed (short across switch pins w/ harness connector removed).

good luck
My first post tells how all relays have been replaces, all fuses checked. Where is the ac compressor switch located?
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
That probably has to do with the temperature sending unit. I would unplug that sensor, then the temperature needle should stay at cold.

Here is post covering the sending unit on a 98

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ghtmare-38464/

Thanks for the link, however, I see that that persons issue is still unresolved :/
Could this account for my fans and a/c not working? Thanks

Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by byrothapyro
My first post tells how all relays have been replaces, all fuses checked. Where is the ac compressor switch located?
Thanks for the replies everyone!
AC pressure switch is downstream of the receiver/drier and below/near the battery on 94-97 models. Yours should be similar. Release the connector, short the switch connector w/ a jumper wire and see if AC engages. If yes, you need a new pressure switch, assuming charge is still OK. Replaceent may require discharge of AC.

If jumping the AC pressure switch doesn't enable compressor, the AC thermostat may have failed. Check for ground available on one leg (Blu/Yel on 94 Accord) of the AC pressure switch connector w/ AC panel switch On.

Check that AC panel switch is closing when turned to On position.

good luck