General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Driver's Highbeam, No Highbeam indicator on cluster

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default No Driver's Highbeam, No Highbeam indicator on cluster

Ok, bought a 2000 Honda Accord EX coupe. One small problem, at least in the immediate sense.

I have a burned out socket in my underhood fusebox. See pictures...

Now, here's what's going on. I have all low beam (prev. owner installed HID ebay headlights) and high beam on passenger's side. However, when I turn high beams on, I do not get the indicator light on the instrument cluster, and I get no driver's side high beam.

What I have done so far...

I attempted bypassing the burned out socket in the fuse box, but each time I try this, the lights go out and only turn back on when I open the door. I have replaced the fuse in the other headlight socket. I have switched the relays back and forth in the under hood fuse box. I have examined all fuses in the dashboard fuse boxes which are relevant. I have switched bulbs back and forth, they both work in the passenger's socket, but neither works in the driver's socket.

I was reading around on the interwebs and saw something about a module that is under the dash, is that my next thing to check? It's all that I can think of. HELP!!!

Now, I will replace the fusebox as soon as the snow melts enough that I can get out into the local u-pull lot. The question is, what can I rig up temporarily to make the high beam work? Without it working, my inspection guy won't inspect it. However, he's not going to take a super close look at it enough that if I throw in a wire, he'll fail it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

If low beams work and the right (passenger) high beam works, then the issue is either the power wire or the ground wire going to the driver's high beam.

The same power source (+) feeds both driver's low and high beam, and the high beam indicator bulb in the gauge assembly. Verify if there is power at the high beam socket's Red/Yel wire. If there is power on that Red/Yel wire, then the issue would be due to the ground source.

The ground source for the high beam bulbs comes through the combination light switch (unlike the low beams bulbs). Since the passenger side high beam works, the switch is probably okay. For the driver's side high beam and high beam indicator bulb, the ground comes from an Orn/Wht wire from the combination light switch, through the driver's side fuse box, and out to two separate Orn/Wht wires (one to the driver's side high beam and one to the high beam indicator bulb). -- If it is a ground issue, the problem area should be focused first at the driver's side fuse box (in cabin).

Last edited by redbull-1; 03-16-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Do you want to keep the HID lights?

My guess is that the previous owner probably wired up the HIDs wrong and melted that fuse. Is the fused red wire your fix?

The HID kit should run through one or two? relays that is connected to the battery to supply proper power to the HIDs. You will have to figure out how the kit was wired up.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

On HT forum, the member posted a different thread that showed the Red/Yel power wire melted in the driver's side under-dash area.